Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Anyone who has a GOOD amount of exhaust experience please help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

224 cam and LT headers
Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RezinTexas
224 cam and LT headers
Will that give me a closer replication of that modern muscle growl I want?
Old 01-21-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a listen to mine, a bit tinny but that's because I don't have a professional mic here. Startup idle, cut to warmed up, initial throttle to open the VT valve, then a short 6K bounce.

http://www.xtremission.com/Videos/Dynomax%203in3out.wma

Some of the ticking noise is my valves, the other rattling sound is because I didn't weld the flapper open on my Dynomax. Only makes a rattle noise at idle...I live with it because it does cut the volume a bit getting out of the neighborhood.

Last edited by Suburbazine; 01-21-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
Here's a listen to mine, a bit tinny but that's because I don't have a professional mic here. Startup idle, cut to warmed up, initial throttle to open the VT valve, then a short 6K bounce.

http://www.xtremission.com/Videos/Dynomax%203in3out.wma

Some of the ticking noise is my valves, the other rattling sound is because I didn't weld the flapper open on my Dynomax. Only makes a rattle noise at idle...I live with it because it does cut the volume a bit getting out of the neighborhood.
That sounds awesome man!
Old 01-22-2013, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's NO cabin drone either. The Flowmaster, Xcelerator and Magnaflow mufflers all had resonance issues at ~2200 RPM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The location of the muffler makes a difference in sound. I mocked up my exhaust with the mufflers all the way towards the rear to sample the sound of my new mufflers. When it came time to fit all the components of the exhaust, the mufflers wouldn't fit in the rear, so I put them just behind the cab and plumbed the pipes out the back. The sound had a different note. Maybe experiment with different muffler locations and a few different mufflers. Loosely slip pipe together, support with jack stands and try it out until you find the right sound.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Corvette and Mustang, and many other sports cars, have equal length exhausts, which is a big reason why they sound badass. Find the right muffler (I am partial to Magnaflow and have tried Borla before), and build yourself an equal length true dual exhaust with an X pipe.

The farther back you can put the muffler, the better. The less tailpipe after the muffler, the higher up in the RPM band the drone will be.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Fwiw, my oval 16" case xr1 sounds "boring" and deep/truckish. 3" mandrel I-pipe. The funky merge on my eBay headers, unequal lengths pipes, and stock cam/compression don't help.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

To op,
I think my setup is exactly what u want , 2011 5.3 long tubes pacesetters not cats (texas) reversed summit glasspack then slp lm2 to right side rear exit of slp 1 to 2 tip, its similar to a corsa (just as rough n raspy) which I like . Plus it cost my 90 for lm2 and $16 for glasspack

Not to brag honestly but 5.0s n ls guys run me down to ask how to get that sound .I always say ........ void your warranty!!! Hahahaha
My point is if dont like it u only spend 120 and u still have factory piping in place , what I did
Good luck
Old 01-22-2013, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

A lot of great ideas here, I'm going to have to look into it all now. Changing this exhaust won't be happening until the spring along with cam swap, got a 6 inch lift and 35s to go on first! lol

I did come across this on YouTube though, I was shocked that it was a Flowmaster muffler with the sound it put out compared to the Super 40 Series

Fast forward to about 50 seconds: 5.3 V8 Chevy Silverado Super 10 Series Flowmaster *Cold Start, Revs,Takeoff* - YouTube

Quick Reply: Anyone who has a GOOD amount of exhaust experience please help.