Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

ASM install

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 07:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASM install

so from the top or bottom? what is easier?
Old 11-19-2003, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my truck, they went in from the top.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

I dunno bout the ASM's but I got my TOG in from the top like there were nothing to them. On the passenger side, I pulled the air tube out and it slide right into place. For the drivers side, I pulled the wiring back out of the way. I also took the bolts out of the little battery cable holder thing and pushed it as far up as I could.

Watch those back bolts on the heads, they are easy to cross thread. It seems as though several of us have cross threaded the same exact bolt. It's the one on the back drivers side. Hope that helps ...
Old 11-19-2003, 07:57 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

Top. take out the dip stick for passenger side. and you have to take one screw out of the steering shaft on the driver side. start it up with them open!
Old 11-19-2003, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Drivers side is a piece of cake from the bottom you might have to loosen the steering shaft. This side takes 30 minutes if you work fast and it's your first time. The passenger side has many clearance problems (at least mine did) It has to go in from the top and to fit it thru all the heater and AC hoses it a b!tch. Also the dipstick tube has to come out and go between header tubes. I also had to loosen and rotate the starter power wire because it burnt to the header. You also might want to grind a little bit (maybe half an inch or less) off the starter heat shield or it will scratch the back of the headers. Good luck and disconnect the battery cable or sparks could fly!!!!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:17 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine were split - pass side top, driver side bottom.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

DEFINANTLY undo the ground cable. I didn't do this and ended up looking for new dipstick after digging the last 3 inches of it out from the starter bolts with sparks flying.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did the ASMs, and what I did for the passenger header was jack the front up a little bit (since its lowered), and take off the plastic inner fender well, and slide the header through there. I slid the driver side header directly from the bottom. Worked out pretty good.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:32 PM
11 Second Club

thanks guys! they will be going on tomorrow!

big tex! hey! check your voicemail! did you still have those modified headers? i am going to lanes friday regardless but will put it off if you have them.
Old 11-19-2003, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Does anybody have 2.5 inch metal collector gaskets? My paper ones keep blowing out and it sounds like sh*t. None of the auto part stores have them in that small size. Can anyone get me a set or tell me where to get some? Thanks

Quick Reply: ASM install