Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

ASM Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:05 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea the passenger side is a bitch.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by L-EATER
Somebody needs to fill you in on the busted knuckles, all the cursing thats gonna take place, and the 8 hours you are about to spend. The first time is an absolute SOB. Some people on here will agree and some say they went on with no probs. I guess it is just production tolerances, but some sets evidently fit better than others. I hope you get some good ones, otherwise have plenty of beer on hand....

You gotta give a little blood sometime
Your goimg to need a muffler shop anyway to weld 'em up cats or not. Some shops will do the install. Ask around, it's worth a couple of hundred $ easy.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

The shop I spoke with said they would install them for 225.00. I figured it would be worth it. Drop it off, go to work, and pick it up later makes it a little less expensive.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:39 PM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

Somebody needs to fill you in on the busted knuckles, all the cursing thats gonna take place, and the 8 hours you are about to spend. The first time is an absolute SOB. Some people on here will agree and some say they went on with no probs. I guess it is just production tolerances, but some sets evidently fit better than others. I hope you get some good ones, otherwise have plenty of beer on hand
yeah you might as well have the shop do it ... it is kinda high but worth the frustration
Old 01-17-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have Gibson Super Truck cat-backs with the polished rectangle tips. I give blood everytime I wash them.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey, hate to start this thread back up and all. But I had a similar situation with the ASM's. Sponser here pushing the Dynatechs, not hard, but was saying that there is a lot of modification to be done to fit the ASM's. I am planning on buying these from TByrne with his 10% off, and just wanting to know what all needed to be done. I too, am planning on having them installed, I was going to have the sponser install them.

Someone mentioned having to unplug the 02's, you don't have to remove them altogether do ya?
Old 02-02-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SierraCrew
Someone mentioned having to unplug the 02's, you don't have to remove them altogether do ya?
No, you just unplug them and plug them back on to the headers.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Well, thats what I thought, I was just trying to make sure. Are you using ASM's Tib?
Old 02-02-2005, 04:24 PM
Formerly one92rs

Talking

if you are fixing to install some. look down the firewall on the pass side. look at the heat shield. there is a stud sticking out down there. cut that end of it off first. then remove the coil packs from that side as well. after that it will go in a lot easier.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Yes that little bitty stud is such a pain. For the driver's side I disconnected the steering shaft and installed it from the bottom. The passenger side has to go in from up top thru all the AC and heater hoses and it is a much bigger header and a much smaller space so be prepared to cuss a lot. Also mine burned a starter wire so you may need to loosen and turn that starter wire where it is not against the starter heat shield. You will know what I mean when you see it.

Quick Reply: ASM Install