Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

ASP pulley questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP pulley questions

I'm going to be placing my order for my pulleys in the next few days (crank and alt. pulley). After you guys installed the pulleys what characteristics of the truck changed? Did you notice the increased hp? More tq? Faster acceleration? Better gas mileage? etc....... Thanks
Old 01-11-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know some of you have pulleys, come on lets hear some good news regarding the pulley's performance.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's not like it added power ... it 'frees' power up. It just feels more responsive and a little stronger.

I'm not sure I would fork out 250 for it ... but picking mine up used it was well worth the $100 I paid!
Old 01-11-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where did you get yours for so cheap . I want some that cheap
Originally Posted by Flyer
It's not like it added power ... it 'frees' power up. It just feels more responsive and a little stronger.

I'm not sure I would fork out 250 for it ... but picking mine up used it was well worth the $100 I paid!
Old 01-11-2004, 06:36 PM
11 Second Club

When I put the bigger alt pulley on it wouldn't charge at idle. The stock one works.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought the ASP alt. pulley was smaller than stock. So you are saying all I need is the crank pulley and not to waste time with the alt. pulley?
Originally Posted by grey silver
When I put the bigger alt pulley on it wouldn't charge at idle. The stock one works.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't have a problem charging at idle, even with the fans running. If I got the system up, then yea, that might be a problem, but just as long as it ain't cranked at the light ... then I'll be fine. I thought the alt pulley was smaller to. If it was smaller, that should keep the alt spinning faster.

I did notice that the water pump doesn't seem like it's spinning fast enough at idle. I've noticed it will heat up when it's just sitting there. Maybe it isn't moving enough water through the engine. I will raise the idle when I get EDIT ... maybe that will cure the problem.

Oh ... I got mine used from someone off the board. It was one of those things it was to good to pass up.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Flyer
I don't have a problem charging at idle, even with the fans running. If I got the system up, then yea, that might be a problem, but just as long as it ain't cranked at the light ... then I'll be fine. I thought the alt pulley was smaller to. If it was smaller, that should keep the alt spinning faster.

I did notice that the water pump doesn't seem like it's spinning fast enough at idle. I've noticed it will heat up when it's just sitting there. Maybe it isn't moving enough water through the engine. I will raise the idle when I get EDIT ... maybe that will cure the problem.

Oh ... I got mine used from someone off the board. It was one of those things it was to good to pass up.
I got the pulley and the alternator would not charge at idle properly. At idle, my headlights would dim. Eventually leading to an excessive drain on my battery. I then ls1 edited my idle up slightly and ordered an overdrive pulley for the alternator and works and charges fine now. Could not see any loss of power putting the overdrive pulley on.
Old 01-12-2004, 12:21 PM
11 Second Club

The bigger alt pulley is underdrive and the smaller one is overdrive. The stock one works for me but I've got my idle turned up a bit. The underdrive pulley will not work w/ electric fans and stock idle.
Old 01-12-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by grey silver
The bigger alt pulley is underdrive and the smaller one is overdrive. The stock one works for me but I've got my idle turned up a bit. The underdrive pulley will not work w/ electric fans and stock idle.
The underdrive alt or crank pulley.

I'm running the stock altenator pulley with the underdrive pulley. I have e-fans, bright *** lights, and a kciking system. The system blew a 60 amp fuse and will heat up a 90 amp fuse if I run it hard for a while, that should tell you what kind of power it pulls. I can't run the system at idle though ... it will show less than 12.5 volts on the cap. All else is fine though.

Quick Reply: ASP pulley questions