Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

AUTOTap'd some stuff...interesting results read on...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUTOTap'd some stuff...interesting results read on...

Well I went to AutoTap the truck tonight it was around 90*F at 9.30PM and got some results...

Looks like that BB mod didn't help me one damn bit, I still run at the high 180's at cruise and low to mid 190s in stop and go driving. Or maybe I have a HUGE air pocket, but I doubt it. Looks like I just suck at free mods. Time to source out a 172* LS1 or a Hypertech 160*. Maybe it has something to do with me using a '99 Model thermo?

More queerness from the stock thermo was that it had 100*C or 212*F stamped on it! Anyone know what this means?

Trans temps stayed around the mid 170's to low 180's, not too hot not too cold.

I have an open K&N FIPK on my truck. My Air Intake Temps were 2-4* over ambient for most of the time. I drove about with the plate under the filter on for a while. This took the AIT's a bit of time to come back down from 110* or so. But they came back to 2-4* over ambient a bit slowly. So next I pull that plate out and cruise again. Same stretch of highway, left truck running while I pulled plate...AIT's drop significantly faster with the plate off.

Shift times: most were around 0.25-0.18 sec range...a quick WOT 1-2 resulted in a 0.08 sec upshift! I think that is pretty damn fast.

My throttle opens to 99.6% already too...

All for now
Old 07-29-2003, 02:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: AUTOTap'd some stuff...interesting results read on...

I have the 160* thermo, but notice my temps up around stock temps around town and when it's under a load. I think it is just at the limits of cooling at that point. I do notice that when it is cooler out it will come on down. It usually seems to be about 88-90 where the break point is for me. I have a bigger raditor to install though, hopefully that should take care of that.

My trans temps stay at about 180-190 (going by the gauge). I would like to see them come down since I have 2k invested in my tranny plus the TC.

That's good about the intake temps (IAT, not AIT , that was kinda throwing me off at first). I wish I could keep mine that low. Maybe I should try one of those kits rather than tthe Volant box. My IAT's stay about 30-35 above if I keep it out of boost, but will raise quickly when the pedal hits the floor.
Old 07-29-2003, 06:41 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

according to the predator my IAT;s start out at around 100 to 110. last night i was driving around and it got down to 82.that is with a upd and ram air mod.
Old 07-29-2003, 08:47 AM
LS1 Tech Administrator

IAT= Intake air temperature.

IAC= Idle air controller.

Two completely different things.
Old 07-29-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I have a 160* stat and efans my temps stay between 183-186 all the time.
My IATs with the gen2 also stay pretty close to ambient temp but climb on up there when at a stop.
Tranny temps stay pretty close to 150* in the summer with the B&M supercooler.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

I have noticed that my coolant temps go to the middle of the stock gauge and stop there for a while, then slowly continues up...think I got an air bubble?

Oh I did have some knock retard around 2-4* cruising around. Is this normal for a stock ride?
Old 07-29-2003, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have noticed that my coolant temps go to the middle of the stock gauge and stop there for a while, then slowly continues up...think I got an air bubble?

Oh I did have some knock retard around 2-4* cruising around. Is this normal for a stock ride?

Sounds like it may be some air in the system
I see some KR at part throttle also.I'm not stock,but I think it's normal.I don't see any KR at WOT.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I see a little KR (about 2-3* at most) at about 55mph accelerating at about half throttle right. I don't think it is anything major. It goes away wiht octane booster. I'm not to worried about it since it's so low.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 138 Likes on 91 Posts

I never see KR at part throttle but get a pretty good bit at WOT.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

I have an open K&N FIPK on my truck. My Air Intake Temps were 2-4* over ambient for most of the time. I drove about with the plate under the filter on for a while. This took the AIT's a bit of time to come back down from 110* or so. But they came back to 2-4* over ambient a bit slowly. So next I pull that plate out and cruise again. Same stretch of highway, left truck running while I pulled plate...AIT's drop significantly faster with the plate off.

so this means I should pull my plate off? Also does your filter get dirtied ALOT faster with the plate on? If I take the plate out I was looking at getting one of those prefilter things...good idea or no?

Thanks

Quick Reply: AUTOTap'd some stuff...interesting results read on...