Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

B&M Shift kit ..

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&M Shift kit ..

I was at the parts store today and they had one for about 45 bucks. It seems tempting .. has anyone used one? How is the install compared to TransGo what about quality?
Old 11-20-2003, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flyer
I was at the parts store today and they had one for about 45 bucks. It seems tempting .. has anyone used one? How is the install compared to TransGo what about quality?
I've got one but haven't installed it yet. I think you can't beat it for the price.
Old 11-20-2003, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

i've got one installed at about 80k and i now have 127k on the original trans. I can't say anything about the quality cause have not seen a trans-go kit. I found it easy to install, but I had it up on a lift.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:32 PM
12 Second Club

i had one in mine, installed it myself. i think i paid about $50 for mine. Dont have it nomore tho. it went when i blew up the transmission. now i have a programmable TransGo runs about $120(plus a rebuilt performance trans,hahaha). just IMO the Programmable TransGO is better. you spend more money on it but you can adjust the firmness with it.also im not an expert and it might have just been my luck, but i suggest looking at getting your trans beefed up, like replacing the clutches and sun shield cause these are the weak links in the gm trans, among a couple of other things to boot(i went through two transmissions with the stock parts in, and blew both of them up, with just a B&M shift kit and a vette servo). but its up to you. not telling you not to install it just suggesting.these are a couple of things to look for when rebuilding,
1. updated accumulator spring
2. 2-4 kevlar band
3. 10 new bushings
4. aux. oil color
5. tempered press plate 3-4
6.tempered press plate forward
7. tempered press plate reverse
8. up dated servo and springs
9. sun gear rear
10. sun gear shield( replacement of gms defective sun shield)
11. new thrust bearings

this is just a start.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is the programmable TransGo the same one everyone is talking about? What are you calling programmable about it?

I know abotu the weak tranny .. boy do I know about it .. 2 trannies and 2500 bucks later. Expensive lesson if ya ask me!
Old 11-20-2003, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one in my 4L60E,seemed to work pretty good,it shifted to hard on the hardest setting smashed a 5 pinion planetary and distroyed a highperformance sprag on a 1st to 2nd shift.Don't go with the hardest setting with a Radix setup.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL .. that's what happened to my first tranny in the black truck. It was barking the 32" BFG AT's at around half throttle. It shifted itself to pieces .. literally.

I think I will prolly just use the B&M kit with the stock tranny in that case, and hold off for the billet servos.

Whitt, how long did yoru stock tranny last on the 'hoe with a shift kit? Did you have servos too? THis is with the blower I'm asking about too.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:27 PM
TECH Veteran

The B&M just swaps the seperator plate, nothing more. The TransGo rebuilds the valve body and increases fluid flow with slighlty larger holes in the seperator plate.

The TransGo vs B&M is like comparing a home built motor by me vs a motor built by John Lingenfelter...there is a HUGE difference.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

LOL ... we wouldn't want that motor built by you I guess .. you don't soujnd to confident guess I'm being orced to go with the TransGo .. just jave to wait a little longer. :p
Old 11-21-2003, 12:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Flyer
LOL ... we wouldn't want that motor built by you I guess .. you don't soujnd to confident guess I'm being orced to go with the TransGo .. just jave to wait a little longer. :p

Well maybe that analogy wasn't the best but I've never built a motor so I cannot say how well my skills go at that point. I've rebuilt a few top ends with the only problem once being cam timing off on the distributor off by a tooth. It may go well.

At least you can get the comparison between the two...

Quick Reply: B&M Shift kit ..