Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Baddest truck in the world?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not positive but I am pretty sure that a cog will not fit on our trucks
Old 10-03-2004, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2toneblown
do they make those for our trucks?

I thought the F1R came with its own dedicated belt. Don't go with the 6 or 8 rib, its a waste of time and money. Go with what Blown said or what ATI recommends. If it were me I would go for the gold and just get a cog setup and be done with it! Good luck, I can't wait to see how it does.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

If there is a way to make a cog fit, it will be on there i can promise you that
Old 10-03-2004, 10:29 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by hink9
why dont you run a cogged belt setup, not to get off topic but i was thinking about doing the same thing as 2tone, why dont more people run centrifugal s/c on their trucks, i mean whipples and magnachargers are awesome, but you can get some wicked flow ratings out of vortechs and ati, etc. just wondering
I think because not many people want to make full on drag trucks. People are generally scared of big stalls and loss of low end power in big trucks. I agree though, if I was going to make a hards core drag truck I'd use a big ATI or Vortech unit or hell even the big Paxtons work well, or I'd go turbo.... I went turbo but can't afford the motor to make the big power yet.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Probably have to be custom. I know ATI makes them, its just for gen 1 small blocks. I looked into it for my Camaro. Just talk to them, and get your lathe and mill ready.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
Nah, too much money for me. My plans include a simple 6.0L block with forged pistons, rod bolts, head studs etc. and a stock crank to keep costs down. I wanna be able to run 18psi or so and run well into the 11s. I don't need this to be the fastest truck, I would have too much competition for that. I just want a respectable daily driver that can spank most street cars.
Im totally eye to eye with you on this one. Im just warning you that I will soon be starting a new job which will give me quite a bit more mod money. I already dumped the 20' cement blocks for 20' centerlines. When the parts from Vortech arrive the truck will be down for a while, so Ill use that time to get my new LQ4 and select a cam. While the truck is down Im sending the SQ V2 back to be set up as a T trim hybrid. This thing will hit low 12's if I have to strap a jet engine to the back Its just so hard to part with money and Ive had to do alot of parting recently
Old 10-03-2004, 10:53 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Right on bro!!

I want nothing more than to see you busting out some quick times in that beast. You totally deserve it with as much effort as you have p[ut into it.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2toneblown
If there is a way to make a cog fit, it will be on there i can promise you that
Skip the cog belts, not enough different lengths to choose from and they're exspensive. Lots of guys in the FI section with Fbodies have tried them on ATI setups with less than good results.

I think you're going to need some sort of custom setup to run that F1 blower. I'm sure someone out there could make you up some custom dual 6 rib pulleys for the accessories. Then you can just use two stock belts. The tensioner would have to be redone a bit but, that would be about it.

I think ASP can make just about any custom pulley you want.

http://www.aspracing.com/frame.htm

Then again it doesn't look like that ATI mounting bracket gives any room for wider pulleys in some pics I just looked at. Nothing a couple longer bolts and spacers couldn't fix though.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:05 PM
I AM A MOTHERF*CKER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
I wouldn't even consider a supercharger to feed a 408. I'd go right to a turbo setup. All the truck supercharger setups run off the stock serpentine belt and I think that is alot to ask of one belt to spin the accessories and a blower trying to flow large amounts of air.

There are several turbo kits to choose from and the turbos that will fit on these kits could easily supply a 408.

It could be a 9 second truck if done right.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey 2toneblown, more power to you if you can get it to work.
However, I and GMCSKI have both tired to make a decent amount of power with superchargers. Both D-1SC Prochargers. When I did some research, I found that the larger the blower the larger the pulley you could use to make the same boost. Larger pulley=less slipage.
At 509rwhp, on a cam only 6.0 was the limit of the 6 rib belt. With higher boost the belt didn't slip it would just "jump" off of the pulley. IMO you will need more than a 8 rib.
You might try to run 10-12lbs of boost and just spray the rest.
My opinion.

Quick Reply: Baddest truck in the world?