Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Beating a dead horse TB Port & Polish How to:

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beating a dead horse TB Port & Polish How to:

I know, I know...newbie.... But, seriously, I know somewhere, somebody has written a GOOD how-to port and polish the throttle bodies on our trucks. I've searched everywhere and just come up with some vague B/S with about 50 different ways to do it, and nowhere can I find where to properly knife the blade or correct the stop so it opens 100 percent! I would seriously to anyone who can link me to, e-mail me or tell me the COMPLETE process on this deal and what I might need to correctly do this mod. Also, if anyone knows some of our sponsors who do the exchange, that'd be cool too!!! THANKS!!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 08:54 AM
Banned

i wouldn't worry to much about knifing the blade until your setup is boardering on insane....the TB bump stop is done with autotap and you grind where the throttle stop hits off until it opens to like 4.0 volts or something like that. basically when you're porting the TB, just begin with some sand paper rolls, start on the bump in front of the blade at the bottom, and smooth that out and blend it with the rest of the interior....and from that point just start removing material consistantly all throughout the opening....you can hog these things out pretty good really so don't be affraid to remove some good chunks of aluminum. i wish the pics i have did justice to how much you can actually tell a difference, but they're shitty pics.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks sloverado! I don't have autotap, or know anyone around here who does, can this be done with a multimeter or Predator? So, as long as I keep the circumference pretty much the same all the way around the TB then I can chunk out a bunch of the interior then huh? Do I have to wory about throwing any codes by removing too much material, or will it be alright as long as I don't mess with the area where the blade closes? ONe more thing, I've noticed a lot of guys pics have the blade ground down and polished as well (the cross hatching on the surface) what's the benefit to this or is it strictly cosmetic? Thanks again, your post was helpful!