Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

best aftermarket transmission 4L60e

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: best aftermarket transmission 4L60e

One more vote for FLP's level IV 4L65E

Add another Vote for FLP...

1. Do they custom machine their own parts? FLP & Rossler do.

2. Have high HP customers had satisfactory results. Both those I mentioned have.

3. What does it Cost to fix it the second time because you didn't use FLP?
Old 10-22-2003, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

The way I went was I bought this kit from KDS and had a reputable shop put it together for me for a killer price. I just like knowing exactly what is in my tranny and was able to be along side the process during the install.
I think FLP is very professional but I havn't had any problems with my 99 tranny and Yank 3000 stall. Hopefully we can see how it holds up against some more hp/tq this winter.
http://www.kdsperformance.com/torepa4lls1o.html

my 2.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:54 PM
lm7
TECH Fanatic

I vote for FLP even though mine only lasted 3 miles berfore breaking....but that was my fault all i can say is make sure the converter is all the way in...
Old 10-22-2003, 03:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

[qoute]
3. What does it Cost to fix it the second time because you didn't use FLP?

[/quote]

$401 even ... that was for all the hardened shafts that I broke cause of the stupidly firm shift I questioned the builder about. He said there was nothing wrong with it and he would leave it like it was though, so that's what I did.

Can't forget the 1800 for the original build too.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:39 PM
12 Second Truck Club

All you guys with FLP's...when I ordered mine 2 weeks ago, the guy that took my order WENT OFF about them not liking Yank converters. Said they see Yank converter problems all the time, and they recommend Vigs. He also said they wouldn't warranty the trans if the yank caused a problem! But they would if it were a VIG!

Maybe I've missed all the Bad Yank posts...but it doesn't seem like people on here have any trouble with them.

It kinda left a bad taste in my mouth cause it seemed like he was just trying to sell me a Vig.

Did any of you guys have similar conversations with them?
Old 10-22-2003, 06:53 PM
TECH Veteran

it was around $2400 after you subtract the $600 core charge but i got the 4L65E upgrade which was $400. without the upgrade it should be alittle under $2200 shipped.
Man why the hell do the front and rear planets cost so damn much from them?! Those parts are about $70-90 for each one from what I have seen new....I can see the extra price if they are cryo treated and stress relieved tho'.

BTW... the weakest link in the 4L60E is the sun gear reaction shell. If you can get a forged/billet one that should end prety much all internal breakage (along with the hardened input shaft/drum assy and the planets obviously).

Then you gotta address the 3-4 clutch pack burnup that sometimes happens... is a 6-7 pack of Blue Plate Specials better than a 9 pack of Red Eagles? Hell if I know. I really think that each input drum is different in casting so with the clearancing of each one is going to be different per application. That pack can't be too tight or too loose...there is a happy medium.

Hell maybe I should try to rebuild a 4L60E...I have most of the knowledge on them just no experience with them...just the old Ford AOD.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:03 PM
12 Second Club

havn mine rebuilt and he warranties the trans up to 700hp no questions asked right around $2000
gettin it back tomorrow
Old 10-22-2003, 07:21 PM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey 01thunder where did you get it rebuilt.
Old 10-22-2003, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

cottman on redbluff @ pasadena blvd. the guys name is David. hes pretty cool. sat down for forty-five min sat. and talked to me about what i wanted. he also showed me what happened to mine and what hes gonna do to make sure it doesnt happen again. took pics of the damage tonight. gonna post some pics here in a little while. theres another guy on here that had his rebuilt there, but i havnt heard back yet about his. but David raves about that one. im getting kind of anctious, to see how it does. hes also gonna check the driveshaft angle and a couple of other things just to make sure there is nothing else causin problems. man hes says my truck should be quicker because all of my clutches where burned up. maybe thats why i couldnt get a constant time at the track. allways fluctuating. we'll see.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Lance what do u run in the 1/4 mile with those mods?

Quick Reply: best aftermarket transmission 4L60e