Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Best Performance Upgrades Dollar for Dollar

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Performance Upgrades Dollar for Dollar

Alright guys,
As you can tell, I'm new to the site. I own a 2002 Chevy 1500 with the 4.8. I have lowered it 4" in the front and 6" in the back and added a set of 18 inch Torq-Thrust ST's. I have blackouts on my headlights and taillights (just got stolen).
Performance-wise I have a big, cone-shaped washable filter from eBay. I also have the screen taken out of the MAF sensor. I have a Gibson SuperTruck exhaust system, which sounds badass.

So here's what I'm wondering. I'm working on a limited budget (senior in high-school), and I want to go faster!!! I was wondering what is going to give me the best performance gains for my dollar. I'm looking at a HPP3 and a TB Spacer first off. I just need you guys to help me out. Also, free mods are definitely good! Seems this is the best place to find out any info for our trucks, so you'll be seeing more and more of me!

Thanks,
Josh Hucks
NXS Customs <font color="black"> <!--color--></font>
Old 05-05-2003, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Best Performance Upgrades Dollar for Dollar

5.3 of course is what you're probably wishin you had. but since you have a limited budget that is not always practical. i would say save your $$$ and do NOT buy a TB spacer. if you get a HPP3 you will be limited on the # of mods you can do. but again, you said you have a tight budget so you probably are limited to a small # of mods anyways. the HPP3 is probably the cheapest way to go. don't expect much power gains from the tuning option of the programmer. you'll feel more top end power when you raise the shift points. headers and TC might be too expensive for ya, but it something to keep in mind
Old 05-05-2003, 10:56 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dollar for dollar nitrous is the best mod. Although the price of filling up the bottles will eventually cut into that "hp per dollar" figure. A torque converter is another good mod.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:29 AM
Banned

definatly nitrous....but richard is right, the refills suck after a while. don't get a throttlebody spacer....it's basically a $100 paperweight. if you get a nitrous kit then you could get a tb spacer and plumb the nitrous nozzle into it, but that's about the only good use one of them would have. a 6.0 swap wouldn't hurt anything and isn't that much really...if you can scrape up 500 bucks( ) an LS6 cam would be nice in a 4.8 probably, i have seen several in 5.3s but none in 4.8s yet i have an 01 ls6 cam and springs i would be more than happy to give up for a very budget friendly price. lowering the rear gear ratio is a good thing, especially with a 4.8, a friend of mine has a stock 4.8 in an 00 rcsb and he went from one wheel peel to a locker with 4.10s and it runs 100x better now with just the gear change. just my .02
Old 05-06-2003, 01:39 AM
Banned

thunder, if he is on that low of a budget he should just worry about getting the thing gassed up. we are giving him things to think about. he doesn't have to spend every dime he comes across on something, he can SAVE up and then make a bigger purchase. chill dude!! hell, the kid is running on a dropped($$$$) truck with 18" wheels worth around 1500 with tires....some budget dude. the guy wanted tips so we are giving him some.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would honestly look toward the Diablo sport Tuner over the Hypertech. You have the ability to do much more than the Hypertech with the Diablo handheld Tuner. Don't waste your money on the TB spacer, it does nothing but change the sound of the intake. It is rediculous to swirl the intake air charge unless it is for atomization of air/fuel like on a carburated engine. Not to say anyone elses opinion is wrong, but shorty headers I would just save the money also. For the $300 saved on shorty headers and $100 saved on the throttle body spacer you could buy a nitrous kit. So...I would have to say, Diablo tuner and nitrous = $700 for a fast truck
Old 05-06-2003, 01:52 AM
TECH Junkie

what kind of budget are you working on?? you may want to think of some mods that do more thant one thing. HPPIII will do a lot for the truck not just the motor. E-fans will give you more power and MPG. Something to think about. With all the mods Ive done Ive lost alot of botom end, but pulls harder to redline (almost feels like v-tech kicking in above 2500) My next mod will be 4:10 to get past the weak spot and off set my over sized tires.

(Do all free mods, Im a beter man for doing mine)
Old 05-06-2003, 03:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I purchased a predator from Tbyrne and recived a choice of 160 or 180 thermostat free. The predator itself was the best performing mod i've done, most seat of the pants feel. I havn't added the UPD or grantelli but i'm sure they will only add to the effect. So a hypertech is $350 a predator is $419 but it comes with a $50 thermostat and shows the data stream, OBD II DTC code reading/clearing, and you can adjust some very serious perameters more then just shift points. Definatly a predator is good choice. You don't need a TB spacer, theirs no such thing as getting better atomisation out of our gen III engines, its a dry manifold. We gave up the need for a TB spacer when they switched from L31 engines to LM7s etc.

Quick Reply: Best Performance Upgrades Dollar for Dollar