Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Best Performance Upgrades Dollar for Dollar

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best Performance Upgrades Dollar for Dollar

Silvette,
Welcome to the world of "sorry can't go out tonight, cuz I just spent my last dollar on making my truck go faster!" LOL J.K. All the mods listed are good choices. I can save you a few bucks on some tho. 1st off make sure you check both of the classified sections (truck & overall) on this forum for what you are looking for. Chances are you'll find someone selling their vehicle and pulling all the go fast goodies or someone upgrading to something else. Also you need absolutely NOTHING to do the throttle body by-pass mod except a pair of pliers to remove the clamps. Simply pull the tube off the passenger side of the TB, remove the short tube that connects the driver side of the TB to the manifold, and then connect the tube that was connected to the passenger side to the manifold. There's plenty of tube there to do it with out buying anything. Looks a lot cleaner too. The reason they run the coolant thru the TB is for vehicles that are in cold climates. This keeps the butterfly valve from freezing up. So if you live in a warm area, why heat up your incoming air any more than you have to? Anyway, welcome & good luck!
Old 05-06-2003, 11:02 PM
TECH Junkie

silvette:

The problem is this forum has some 10,000 members. You will get some 10,000 diferent answers. Blower, cam, stall, n20, HPP, diablo, ls1-edit, intake, exhaust, headers, LSD, gears, e-fans. All will make your truck faster... beter.

I have a 4.8. I have modded the motor in an atempt to overcome the shortcomeings of the 4.8. The only mods I do must be interchangeable to the pending 5.7 swap. The 5.7 has diferent characteristic than the 4.8 so cam, gears, programing may not swap across.

The first mod I did to my evil-exgirlfriend honda was cheater slicks. I could take this box stock civic out an beat other honda with more mods and power, pop the hood and show a stock motor. They ask how it was so quick, I say Im beter driver. Priceless.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I realize I will get a bunch of different opinions. I'm paying attention to which ones get recommended the most and those are the ones I will make.

So far looks like this:
TB Bypass
Programmer
Converter or Corvette Servo

Now, about the Diablo. How do I get this programmer and the free thermostat? Who is tbyrne?

I appreciate everyone's help. I wish there was a website like this for my '71 Cutlass!

Oh, BTW I have Auto Tech 2nd block, so I'm gonna try the TB Bypass then!

Thanks,
Josh Hucks
NXS Customs
Old 05-07-2003, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

i actually think its more fun to just spray the hell outa the 4.8. then if it blows up who cares, just drop in the 6.0
thunder, trying to start **** again. i guess you didn't like my suggestions. well, looks like a number of people at this site recommended to upgrade that slow 4.8.

5.3/6.0, which ever, it is going to be an improvement. also, my idea about a TC, again suggested be many. programmer, my suggestion, again recommended a number of times.

what was your suggestion? oh ya, get a TB spacer and shorty headers. 2 things that many say are a waste of $$$.

BTW, now you are changing your song and dance about the swap
Old 05-07-2003, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey guys I was only asking a question! Don't get so uptight with each other! I'm learning more and more with every post!

So far, I have definitely decided I will get the Diablo Predator and the 180* thermostat. After that, we'll see. Probably something with the tranny.

Thanks,
Josh Hucks
NXS Customs
Old 05-07-2003, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

who has the best price for the diablo and the 3000 stall converter please help im doing a eaton and 4.10 next but i want a stall after that and a diablo and on the throttle body boring are they inlarging the plates also or just boring the out side part help please email me if you have more addvise please blemoine02@aol.com
Old 05-07-2003, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

As to the 4.8 vs 5.3 in a race.... One of my friends has sbrc 4.8 with posi and fipk and a gibson cat back. At the time I raced him I was bone stock with about 5,000 miles as to his 20,000 miles. From a stop I pulled about A half a car length on him and then around 50 mph I was more then a whole car length. (I drive a sbrc 5.3 with stock posi)

Quick Reply: Best Performance Upgrades Dollar for Dollar