Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Best Performance Upgrades Dollar for Dollar

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 01:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Best Performance Upgrades Dollar for Dollar

i was wondering thunder's age also...i'm guessin somewhere around 16.
I was thinking 16 or 19

who is the fastest Mr. Mix?
Old 05-08-2003, 11:59 AM
Moderator / Sponsor

Hey Slowverado ...enjoy it for the momment I dont plan to be finished soon but i dont plan on being satisified not being #1

In my opinion for daily driving and good performance gains start simple...

1. Free mods first:
- If you are handy with a dremel cut out the ridge in your TB and do some gentle smoothing (keep it simple) and grind the blade stop to allow for tb to open complete(again be careful not to exceed 100 rotation)
- Do the EGR tube cut in the Plenum and make a restrictor for the EGR tube.
- Punch a few holes in the bottom of the air box and fold down the rubber flap that covers the area between the headlight and radiator. (allow some cool air to you new intake)
2. Underdrive pulley is a good buy and is not a difficult install
3. An intake is good as well but for nearly the same you can get used F-body fans and make your own intake with better results.
4. A programmer is a plus... shift point changes and firmness is a worth a few tenths

Just a start...much more can be had with more money ... obviously

Old 05-08-2003, 12:18 PM
Banned

oxi, guess it'll be two white single cabs at the top of the list fighting it out then. how big are you going on your motor i have already forgotten.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Moderator / Sponsor

388 LS6 block paired to SIII AAP heads/cam... stock offset ground crank and other forged goodies but thats just to hold up to the 200 or so HP of additional go fast
or we will have to see
Old 05-08-2003, 04:22 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oxi, guess it'll be two white single cabs at the top of the list fighting it out then. how big are you going on your motor i have already forgotten.
hey slow, your geting a big head and your not even running yet, what makes you think i am done moding my truck? i see some mid 10's by the middle on next year and still drive it to work every day, not sure what i can squeese out of it this year though, have to catch up on some credit cards before i hit it with another round of mods.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, so how do I do the EGR mod now? I do appreciate the help. Even if everyone's feathers did get ruffled!

Josh Hucks
NXS Customs
Old 05-08-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

i'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks thunder is childish and likes to slam people. all i did was respond to a question by a newcomer amd i tried answering it the best i could from all the knowledge i gained from this sight, myself, and friends. i think he is just pissed at himself that he bought the 4.8 and realized that there was a 5.3 after the fact. if anyone had a choice, lets say for free or a few extra pennies, who would not chose a bigger engine unless you are concerned about gas mileage. then go buy a hybrid or something. most people don't buy a $30,000 fullsize pickup to ***** foot around. go buy an s10 w/ a 4 cylinder. if you are going to fork over the money for fullsize, don't halfass it, put the best motor you can in it. because if you don't, you are going to kick your self in the ***. i'm sure most of the people that have a 4.8 right now, will purchase a 5.3 or 6.0 when they are in the market for a new truck, unless they get a good deal with somthing else. well, i rambled on long enough. later
Old 05-08-2003, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't know what the pissing match is about going on here and frankly I don't give a ****...but one thing if you guys are talking about spending to go fast: how many have their trucks paid for? Probably not too many. Mine will be by years end at the latest. Also, don't be childish and pissed you made a poor decision in your purchase, it happens. Deal with it and get on.

I figure this: I can drop 5-6K in it now, watch things break, and pay for a broken vehicle OR hurry up and pay it off then when something breaks I will not care nearly as much and probably have an additional ride. Having a paid for beater is the best. Hell I may just go sell this truck, cut my losses, and dump $20K into a downpayment on an E55 that runs mid 12's on 93 gas, will out corner/brake/handle this truck, and still get well over 25MPG. Who knows.

Stuff to think about.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Im wondering the same thing.... I have no clue what they are talking about plez some one fill us in on every detail...

Quick Reply: Best Performance Upgrades Dollar for Dollar