Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

best programmer for the buck???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best programmer for the buck???

Ok, for Christmas this year my dad wants a programmer of some kind... the options i've given him so far are the hypertech, and the predator. Is there a difference in performance between the two??

Second, going on how the truck will never have a custom tuned ecm, which do you guys recommend???

Last, are there any other better options??
Old 11-20-2003, 11:04 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS1 EDIT!

It's not much more than the Predator, and you can change almost anything that you could think of!

I just went from HPPIII to EDIT, and the difference is NIGHT AND DAY!
Old 11-20-2003, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

how versitle is it tho?. can you change it later? can a dealership tell (void warrenty?) keep in mind the truck is bone stock, this will be his first mod, finally, the most it will ever probably have is cold air and exhaust on top of this.....
Old 11-20-2003, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by 3/4ths a 350
Ok, for Christmas this year my dad wants a programmer of some kind... the options i've given him so far are the hypertech, and the predator. Is there a difference in performance between the two??

Second, going on how the truck will never have a custom tuned ecm, which do you guys recommend???

Last, are there any other better options??
If you're not going to get a custom tune like a Westers ot LS1 Edit, there are several options. The Hypertech is a good basic programmer but it's getting dated and they need to make an updated version. It does have two tuning options (87 & 93 octane), will let you adjust shift points, and adjust for larger or smaller tires, etc. The Predator does all that an more, more tuning options and it's a SES light code reader. It also has a "live data" mode that let's you monitor several systems while you drive around. Superchips now has a new version of their tuner, that has three tuning options and is now a code reader also. I would say research it and decide, looks like you've already started the research. Good luck!
Jim
Old 11-20-2003, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

yeah superchips micro-tuner right? didnt know they have a scanner in it, food for thought, thanks for the info.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by 3/4ths a 350
yeah superchips micro-tuner right? didnt know they have a scanner in it, food for thought, thanks for the info.
Yep, SuperChips Max Microtuner, they call their new tuner the "Tri-Tuner" because of the three tuning programs (performance, towing and economy). The performance and towing programs take 93 gas, with the economy you can use 87. The new part number is 2715.
Jim
Old 11-20-2003, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

LS1 EDIT!!!!!!!!!
you can do anything you want with it. and i dont think the dealer can tell because with edit the whole program is rewritten. so when they pull it up thats the program. theres no tracing it. from what i was told. but you gotta be carefull with it. its real in depth and if your not carefull, you could really screw things up. also its not a plug and go tuner like the other three. you dont just press a couple of buttons and go. you have to have a laptop for it and also need to buy atap or efilive. to really get a good tune. there are several shops that do tunes and can get these trucks runnin like a scalded ape.
just my .02
Old 11-20-2003, 06:46 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS1 edit or westers PCM.I wouldn't get the other handheld programmers,you will see a bigger difference with edit or a westers PCM.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:58 PM
Cuz I AM a BADMOFO

I got a HPPIII Hypertech for $300 brand new and it knocked a half a second off my et. With the Hypertech, AEM intake, and Magnaflow cat back on a 4500lb extended cab 5.3 I've been 14.9. I'm not tryin' to race John Force over here, just wanted to crack my neighbors *** in his SI Civic. Job done! I'm not done here, I figure with a converter, fans, pulleys, etc....I should have a low 14 second reliable truck. LS1 may very well be the shizit, but I like my $300 HPPIII and my $80 diagnostic scanner from J.C Whitney (ha ha)! Its kinda like my hill-billy version of ATAP and LS1 edit. Different strokes for different folks! Its all good as long as you keep having fun. And when I'm done with it, I'll get $250 back for it on EBAY. How can you go wrong. I've heard several stories (search the threads) about people having bad experiences with the Superchips and other hand helds, but never once have a heard about a problem with the Hypertechs. Thats why I bought one. I mean come on, I got 5 tenths of my E.T., you can't tell me that Superchips is gonna give you more than that. You make your choice and have fun with it.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

At the SEMA show Crane Cams debuted a new Power Tuner for trucks. It already has cam profiles loaded in it, and also works with the stock cam. According to what I was told by one of their booth guys, their programmer allows you to return the truck to stock with no problem in case you have to go into a dealership for some sort of warranty service.

Quick Reply: best programmer for the buck???