Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

best programmer for the buck???

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 03:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another Vote for the Crane Power Tuner.
Old 07-14-2004, 06:09 AM
Formerly one92rs

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

nelson tune will take care of all.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I said the same thing about hearing of others having problems with the hand held programmers and that I never had a problem untill one day i figured if I
bought this HPP3 that I need to use it more than twice and I went to play with the settings and something happened and it wouldnt flash a program in my PCM.
For some reason and to the disbelief of the Hypertech techs it gave me back my stock tune after 5 hours of screwing with it. I had to send it to Hypertech for repairs. Luckily it gave me my stock tune back because my truck wouldnt even try to turn over and the techs told me that it wouldnt because it was froze and I had heard of people ahving to get their rides towed to the dealership and get them to reflash their PCM and get sh*t from them about it. Lets just say a week and a half later I had my Nelson tune in and it Felt like my Heptertechs Hypertech got Hyperteched! Oh and 4 weeks later I got my HPP3 back and then sold it!
Old 07-14-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have had the HPPIII and the Predator! Both don't even compare to the tune I have now, The Nelson Tune!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:16 AM
13 Second Truck Club

I have heard the horror stories about the HPP3 programmers, but I have not had any personally. Heck, with the help of my HPP3, I outran a Hemi today! I would love to have a Nelson Tune, but can't quite bring myself to committ to it yet.
Old 07-14-2004, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

well he ended up going with a Predator Programmer... he bought it from O'Reilly for 290 bucks.... and it is considerably better then stock ofcourse... he also recently added a Corsa Exhaust system which we both love..

Any idea on a Cold Air system to use??? Volant worth the money? or will an FIPK do the job???

Thanks
Old 07-14-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

I personally don't like the Hypertech. I ran it in my '00 4.3 truck.

I've heard more than once, that the HT tuning only comes into play at WOT. It's not access/used in the around town squirting I do 95% of the time.

If I were going handheld - Predator by far.

If I were going mail-order - Nelson or Westers

Custom DIY tuning - I love my HP Tuners. Edit and logging tools all in one, for $500.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

For an intake, I'm a BIG fan of the stock airbox and a simple drop-in filter... but I'm definitely not the norm.

UPD was very popular a short time ago, but there have been many quality issues and they seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Volant is supposed to be top notch, but I haven't heard anyone speak very highly about gains from the setup.

The K&N setup is supposed to sound real nice, but power/economy is still up in the air. Some get more power, some don't. The box has a tendency to draw hot air from the engine compartment.

There is the new VaraRam airbox (with optional ram air) coming out in a few weeks. Keep your eyes peeled for that, from what we're hearing it's supposed to be awesome.

Then there is the AEM type setups that mount your air filter down in front of the fender well, but behind the front bumper, where it's rather cool. I like that setup, but I'm not in the mood for an intake upgrade at the moment...
Old 07-14-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

i like the aem. heres mine. been dynos of 10-13rwhp peak

bigger pic in sig
Old 07-14-2004, 02:44 PM
13 Second Truck Club

I modified my stock air box (by knocking off the plastic tubes that extend into the fender well), added a k&n filter and replaced the intake tube with one from Airaid. It seems to do well.

A lot of guys here have made their intake tubes from parts that you can pick up at local hardware stores. These systems are pretty inexpensive to build and often look better than the manufactured stuff. Do a search and see what you can come up with.

Quick Reply: best programmer for the buck???