Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Best way to connect exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to connect exhaust

I'm doing the ol' LT headers/ORy thing and wanted to know what is the best AND simplest way to get all this done. Ive read a lot and some guys like band clamps, some welded, some V-bands, nobody likes the stock clamps that come with the ORY lol.

I dont really wanna do the band clamps....My truck is on rubberbands, and it rides rough over bumps and highway, plus I drive like a maniac. I cant have these thing loosening over time....Is there some kind of flange I could buy and have welded on the headers and ORY that way I could just bolt em together? Do I weld where the Y-pipe connects?

Or do you think I'll be fine with the band clamps? Im doing my efans at the same time, and Ill get a tune right after that....I hate to drive to the muffler shop to have them weld it and the truck run like crap after the o2 sensors are out lol....not sure how that works.....
Old 05-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMHO V-band clamps are the way to go! They do not leak when set up properly and there are no gaskets to blow out...After the ORY should be a oe type ball&socket flange that shouldn't leak...weld everything else if its 2wd,use 1 band clamp on the swedge crossover if its 4wd
Old 05-14-2010, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

everything from the collectors back is welded on mine
Old 05-14-2010, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like using food grade tri-clamp fittings & ferrules. You can use either a single wing-nut style for a quick connect arangement or for heavier duty use, a two bolt clamp.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like vband clamps as well
Old 05-15-2010, 09:17 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

I'd do something like v-bands or what 1Bear posted. Make the y-pipe removable, so if you ever have to pull the trans you can remove everything easily by just unbolting. If you weld everything up, you'll have to cut it apart if you ever have to pull the trans, or the engine for that matter, if your headers are welded directly to the y-pipe. The band clamps are the easiest and cheapest method, but getting those slip fit connections apart could prove itself very challenging, if not impossible, especially if you go with mild steel LT's and ORY. Stainless components should hopefully come apart in that situation though. (I say hopefully as I plan to remove my StainlessWorks slip fit y-pipe when I do my trans swap next weekend). No worries about the band clamps coming undone btw, once they're on and torqued down they're there to stay

Here's my slip fit SW's with band clamps...

Last edited by budhayes3; 05-15-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

i used band clamps at the collectors on mine and everything after that is welded. no leaks at all
Old 05-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been wondering the same thing about the ORY. My thought was band clamps at the collectors then weld the ORY completely and then bolt it to the stock catback.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

I'm thinking of going band clamps at the connectors....I was wanting that and then weld the ORY together but might just do a clamp there too. thanks guys.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:50 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 98BuickGS
ive been wondering the same thing about the ORY. My thought was band clamps at the collectors then weld the ORY completely and then bolt it to the stock catback.
That should work, as long as the ORY is removable you should be OK...biggest concern that I'd see would be the slip fit connections seizing together if the ORY and headers are mild steel, but heat and "persuasion"...and a lot of patience should allow you to split them apart if the need be. Be sure not to use the old round bolt style U-bolts that will crimp the pipes together or they'll never come apart without cutting

Quick Reply: Best way to connect exhaust