Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Best way to get 4L60E to shift firmer

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to get 4L60E to shift firmer

I just bought an 05 ext cab silverado with the HO 5.3 engine. I would like the tranny to shift a little firmer (not tire squealing) for everyday driving. I don't necessarily want the shift points changed. I like the way the tranny shifts when in tow/haul mode, but it holds the gears to long. Basically, I want to get as long a life as possible out of my tranny. Any opinions?
Old 02-10-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

TransGo shift kit installed CONSERVATIVELY will do the trick. uning will fine tune those shifts for ya too. After the shift kit, you should remove torque management with some tuning.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flyer
TransGo shift kit installed CONSERVATIVELY will do the trick. uning will fine tune those shifts for ya too. After the shift kit, you should remove torque management with some tuning.

mine made a huge difference with tm removed and shift kit with servos
Old 02-10-2005, 01:06 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Yep Transgo is an excellent kit. Don't install any of the washers that come with it and it will be mild enough for every day drivin
Old 02-10-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Forgive my ignorance guys, but what it torque management? Also, do you think just a tune without a shift kit would get me what I am after? Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New boost valve.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Forgive my ignorance guys, but what it torque management? Also, do you think just a tune without a shift kit would get me what I am after? Thanks again.
Part of it ... it will get you to the firmer shifts, but won't do much for the longevity of the trans.

Torque Management is a 'feature' that pulls engine power, in the form of pulling timing, shutting off fuel to certain cylinders, and on 03 and up it will actually close the throttle blade, when it detects what it considers abuse. I can't tell you exactly what constitutes abuse, but I know it kicks in on hard take offs, which explains the sluggish down low part, and on uring shifts at higher throttle positions, and even more at WOT.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:41 PM
13 Second Truck Club

Wake up kit from PATC or basically a .500 boost valve and both billet servos. Drove mine like that for about 60,000 miles till I complimented it w/ the Transgo. All while being a daily driver and pulling the boat (4000 lbs) almost weekly about 90-100 miles round trip...Zed
Old 02-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Staging Lane

Default Check This

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
I just bought an 05 ext cab silverado with the HO 5.3 engine. I would like the tranny to shift a little firmer (not tire squealing) for everyday driving. I don't necessarily want the shift points changed. I like the way the tranny shifts when in tow/haul mode, but it holds the gears to long. Basically, I want to get as long a life as possible out of my tranny. Any opinions?
Hey man, I worlk for GM at a Proshop, so trust me. Just use the Tow-Haul mode, you can run it all the time, 24 hours a day and it will not affect your lifeline of your trans or your engine. Lot's of people do it.
If you want to spend a WORTHY $400...then email allen@nelsonperformance.com

Spend the cash, and tell him how MILD or how WILD you want to go....he can totally customize a personalized tune for your ride!
Old 02-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GMPartsGuy
Hey man, I worlk for GM at a Proshop, so trust me. Just use the Tow-Haul mode, you can run it all the time, 24 hours a day and it will not affect your lifeline of your trans or your engine. Lot's of people do it.
If you want to spend a WORTHY $400...then email allen@nelsonperformance.com

Spend the cash, and tell him how MILD or how WILD you want to go....he can totally customize a personalized tune for your ride!
LOL When you have been "nelsoned" you have been "nelsoned"! LOL Has anyone started the phrase "nelsoned" yet. I like it!
Transgo Shift kit and a tune! And make sure Allen knows you like the gears to hold a little longer...it's all good. Plus Allen will give you free updates to your tune if you do any more mods.

Quick Reply: Best way to get 4L60E to shift firmer