Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Better way than STS Turbo kit oil return?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Better way than STS Turbo kit oil return?

Anyone come up with a better way to get the oil back to the motor from the turbo on the STS?
The pump is noisy when new and I have heard about some reliability issues.
Would a line plumbed into the oil pan work? Would there be enough pressure to get it there?
I've been thinking about putting an oil cooler on the line after the turbo, the **** gets HOT after the turbo!
Will the stock STS oil return pump be able to pull it through the cooler or would the motors oil pressure be enough?
Old 05-10-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

A cooler shouldn't add much resistance. Most makers make them in a low pressure drop style. I don't know that it will help though. It will cool the oil but don't know if it's really necessary. Might just be another complication to the kit.

I hope a better solution comes along for the pump on those kits. Or keep a spare and the tools to swap it out if you drive on a long distance trip. They do make nice power, though!
Old 05-10-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

If anything you would put the cooler before the turbo not after. The point to the cooler would be to cool the oil so the turbo can run efficiently. Well if you cool the hot oil after it leaves the turbo then it goes back into the hot *** oil pan then whats the point. It will be just as hot as it was without the cooler inline
Old 05-10-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01Blackerado
If anything you would put the cooler before the turbo not after. The point to the cooler would be to cool the oil so the turbo can run efficiently. Well if you cool the hot oil after it leaves the turbo then it goes back into the hot *** oil pan then whats the point. It will be just as hot as it was without the cooler inline
As far as temps go, do you think or know if the oil in the motor is hotter or cooler than the oil comming out of the turbo. I think I would need to know what the oil temps is at lets say 75 degrees ambient at a 70mph freeway cruising speed.
Just wondering if anyone has any solid data on this.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Found this pump, don't know how much it is though.

http://www.emp-corp.com/html/product...c_oil_pump.htm
Old 05-10-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TG02Z71

Thats a nice looking piece, but I'm sure it not going to be cheap!

Just looks expensive
Old 05-11-2005, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

As far as temps go, do you think or know if the oil in the motor is hotter or cooler than the oil comming out of the turbo. I think I would need to know what the oil temps is at lets say 75 degrees ambient at a 70mph freeway cruising speed.
Just wondering if anyone has any solid data on this.
I would think that the engine oil temps are cooler but not by much...it would still make it that much colder though if it came out of the oil pan then into the cooler then into the turbo! By doing that the temps would drop maybe a good 25*

As for temps I would be willing to guess that it is close to whatever your temp gauge says in the dash. Maybe 25-30 degrees cooler
Old 05-11-2005, 09:34 AM
How do I change this text

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks like a positive displacement pump. The sts pump is not. I'm not sure if you would run it to cavitation problems or if the positive displacement would just circulate the oil throw the "turbo circuit" faster.
Does anyone know where the sts kit supply oil tap is in the oil system? I know where it is mounted, but is it prefilter, postfilter on the retune side, ect.
It might be a better setup if you just use that high dollar pump and pulled the oil right out of the pan and retune it aaaa some where else. lol. Then a cooler would be ease to setup. And you could set that pump up to run for a second before startup and after shut down. Wow I think I just talked my-self into it.

A replacement pump is around 250 from STS. (I've though about carrying an extra too)
Old 05-11-2005, 02:08 PM
Launching!

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/mocal1.htm
Old 05-11-2005, 04:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MrXerox
Looks good to me! thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: Better way than STS Turbo kit oil return?