Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Block EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Block EGR?

just got the pacesetter LTs, i would post a pic but they all look the same . i read about blocking off the egr if you dont have the sniffer test... good plan or bad plan? what the !@#$ does this thing do anyway? yeah, also congrats to Nelson perf. for making article in GM high Perf. magazine this month.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

egr aka exhaust gas recirculation is one of thoes emissions dealeos, basically dumps exhaust into your intake and reburns it to get rid of more crap so less comes out yoru tailpipe, it really seems like a bass ackward way of doing things, I dont like the idea of exhaust going in my intake...maybe someone else can add to this......
Old 08-05-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True. Its best to delete it with a tune and than either make a block off plate yourself or have one made and put it over the egr hole on the headers OR just get headers w/o the egr option and than take off the entire egr set up and to block off the other hole on the intake manifold get this part number -12558346- from gmpartsdirect.com
Old 08-05-2005, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DakotaKiller5.3
just got the pacesetter LTs, i would post a pic but they all look the same . i read about blocking off the egr if you dont have the sniffer test... good plan or bad plan? what the !@#$ does this thing do anyway? yeah, also congrats to Nelson perf. for making article in GM high Perf. magazine this month.

i have a good friend that is a top mechanic, i asked him the same thing. he said that when the gas passes back through the intake i makes a small amount of water giving you a small amount of horse power. he said you wouldn't notice any differance both ways.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by duwem
I dont like the idea of exhaust going in my intake...maybe someone else can add to this......

Unless its coming from a turbo
Old 08-06-2005, 10:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, so off it goes. the entire setup, what all does this consist of? i mean, my truck is 9K miles away... i cant see it. no, really it is. is there another post about the process of this?
Old 08-07-2005, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

disconnect the electrical plug from the EGR valve and remove the 2 bolts holding it onto the cylinder head.

take the two bolts off the flange at the header, pull the tube away from the header, bolt on the blockoff plate and gasket that came w/ your pacesetter headers.

remove the one bolt holding the other end of the tube in the intake manifold. slide it out and plug the hole in the manifold w/ the GM plug, reuse the one bolt you took out.
walk to the door of your shop and throw the whole assembly out in the yard. takes all of 5 minutes to remove it, if that.

dont forget to have your PCM tuned for it. CHIP
Old 08-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Teching In

will removing EGR cause emission test to fail? I was just wondering, since the vin# for the truck tells inspection guys that it is suppose to have EGR.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Sexy Party Mod

I think it will make it throw a code and get an SES light. I talked to Allen Nelson this past week and he said that it gives you no horsepower. On the more positive side, he also said that it makes the engine compartment look less cluttered.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default ok little light bulb went off...

so, i was hangin out in my sleeping bag last nite, and i was thinking. (scary huh?) yeah, so what if instead of just plugging the hole in the intake... what if you could squeeze a nitrous nozzle in there? is this possible? i mean, if this hole is in the right spot and it wouldnt just spray into one or two cylinders... could it be done? i am thinking of running a little laughin gas and dont want to drill a hole in my 270$ k&n intake. i dont know, just a thought. whats yalls .02$???

Quick Reply: Block EGR?