Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Boost or Boltons/cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 01:43 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Check the classifieds. There was a guy selling new Stage 2 LS1 heads with a TR 224 cam for $1350. There is another guy selling a VIG 3200 for $450. If you have the money jump on that!!
Stuff like headers, servos, tranny cooler, shift kit, Easton, and a tune you will need either way you go if you are looking for performance. Those are moot points.

I'd get a certified flow sheet on those heads before buying though. That sounds kinda cheap. Good heads dont come cheap unless the guys WIFE is selling them or his name is Tyrone and he needs to support his crack habit.

Lots of cheap heads on the market because people bought into all those $1400 Stage10 race head deals and realized you get what you pay for :p
Old 07-29-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by F8L Z71
I'd get a certified flow sheet on those heads before buying though. That sounds kinda cheap. Good heads dont come cheap unless the guys WIFE is selling them or his name is Tyrone and he needs to support his crack habit.

Lots of cheap heads on the market because people bought into all those $1400 Stage10 race head deals and realized you get what you pay for :p
Good point. Im definately prone to a good head slapping.
Old 07-29-2004, 03:52 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Good point. Im definately prone to a good head slapping.
No way bro, you're just trying to help people out. Nothin wrong with that
Old 07-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Launching!

I went with Kenne Bell, modified the intake went with gibson exhaust and fabricated my own intercooler and we're going to the track this weekend to see who we can pick on.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

I say heads and cam, I am running a 5.3 extended cab and when find time to get everything on I am hoping for 12's on motor...not sure with the shot, but I do not get very good gas milage either. I am not sure how a blower does on that side of the house. With stock heads and a mild cam I was getting -12 mpg around town.

Good luck though...
Old 07-29-2004, 05:53 PM
TECH Veteran

I'd say do both. Trucks got the weight disadvantage so give it an "advantage" with a power adder.

Just do some researching and match up your heads/cam to the power adder.

ex.

Bigger chambered heads, wider lsa cam, shot of nitrous or w/e power adder you prefer.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:37 PM
12 Second Club

I say save yourself the hassle and get the Radix. Average 120hp gain, one weekend (or one day) install, power all through the rpm's, optional drivetrain warranty....

but a transgo and or other tranny upgrades would be a very good decision to go along with any substantial power gains
Old 07-30-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

boost. I went the boltons and cam route. Then I put on the blower. I know I had boltons when I put on the blower, but gees it definitely added more than all of the boltons combined.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by fastinspirit02
Thanks for all the replies, still not 100% sure what I'll do. May go Cam/TC/shiftkit/servos/tune for now and do more later. The 6.0 sounds fun but i'm not sure if I'm up to pulling out the 5.3 just yet, only 23k miles on it. Although then I could do NOS and have a backup engine if it blew up. Any idea how much a new/slightly used 6.0 would run? As far as Nitrous goes, how much would a 100 shot hurt the engine? I've heard that it will hurt the engine and then some say that the new engines/kits work well and i shouldn't have any problems. Also I've heard something about putting 5.3 heads on the 6.0 and increasing the compression ratio, does this work well?

Thanks
Ryan

With all that extra power I'd also worry about blowing your stock transmission.......
Old 08-01-2004, 03:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O3GMC
I say save yourself the hassle and get the Radix. Average 120hp gain, one weekend (or one day) install, power all through the rpm's, optional drivetrain warranty....
So are you're saying some people get ~100HP, others get ~140HP, for an average of 120HP? I don't think so. I got 90HP with Magnuson tuning and they said I was right up there with all the other 5.3L they put the Radix on. It's a good add, but try to keep from exaggerating the numbers, folks.

Quick Reply: Boost or Boltons/cam?