Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Which Boost gauge and how to install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Boost gauge and how to install?

So what are you guys running? I have the Base STS kit so you know that much, I may eventually go up in boost a little but it will never be a monster. The other question is where is it installed at or should I ask where is it getting its readings from?? When I use my Predator for diagnostics what reading tells me what kind of boost I am getting? Right now I'm looking at MAP and MAF for pressures, don't really know if they truly reflect real turbo boost. Thanks guys.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

I just bought a 2" auto gauge vaccum/ boost gauge off ebay for $30.
There should be a port near the top of the intake on the passenger side. I used this one. You have to carefully break off the plastic nipple before hooking the line to it.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

My boost gauge is installed in an a-pillar pod (the one at the bottom). Very simple to hook up it is a +12v, a ground and a tube tapped into the intake manifold.

Old 01-31-2005, 05:57 PM
Launching!

I found a Stewart Warner Vac/Boost Gauge that tops out boost at 15psi. It's the lowest overall boost rating, which makes the needle move alot more. All the import boost gauges seem to go way up to 30 - 35 psi. Sort of a waste on a truck running 6-10 psi.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rosscob
I found a Stewart Warner Vac/Boost Gauge that tops out boost at 15psi. It's the lowest overall boost rating, which makes the needle move alot more. All the import boost gauges seem to go way up to 30 - 35 psi. Sort of a waste on a truck running 6-10 psi.
Good point on the max pressure for the gauge to read. Probably makes it easier to read without all the extra numbers on it. I saw some a few weeks ago on here but when I do a search it comes up with nothing. The search engine here does some weird stuff. Kind of like when you GOOGLE something, you get back allot and mostly obscure hits.
Thanks for the info guys.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:16 PM
Launching!

Here's a photo from stewart warner of their gauge

Here's a link to all thier gaugesStewart Warner Boost Gauges
Old 01-31-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the Stewart Warner gauges and its probley what I will buy when I get the Procharger. I didnt know they were that easy to install. I am gonna go with a boost gauge and fuel preasure. The guy that I am buying the Procharger said they were around 70 dollars each. (It kind of freaked me out on gauges when I looked at Summit Racing and they were 200 each). Actually I am gonna get the one pictured above.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

47 bucks for the 30hg vac/ 20 psi boost autometer phantom gauge at jegs
Old 02-01-2005, 05:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rosscob
Here's a photo from stewart warner of their gauge

Here's a link to all thier gaugesStewart Warner Boost Gauges
Cool, I like that one. Do you guys remember the gauges that mounted in the overhead console, where the maplight are? I saw it a while ago here but the search comes back with too much for my slow *** dial up to go through at home. There was a two gauge set-up that looked pretty slick, maybe a boost and oil temp or fuel pressure?
Old 02-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Moderately Differentiated

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TG02Z71
Do you guys remember the gauges that mounted in the overhead console, where the maplight are? There was a two gauge set-up that looked pretty slick, maybe a boost and oil temp or fuel pressure?
SOCALDIESEL.COM

Quick Reply: Which Boost gauge and how to install?