Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

which borla with no cats and LT's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which borla with no cats and LT's?

ok im running lpp's with no cats, single 3 inch exhaust... i was going to go 4 inch exhaust because im going supercharged next year however i cant seem to find a nice and mellow 4 inch muffler, i have a 18 case dynomax bullet before a round case borla xr-1. i dig the sound now but would like it a bit quieter... because im putting 2 3 inch electric cutouts before my y pipe to make flow for the supercharger. so which borla turbo muffler would be good to replace the 2 mufflers i have now and quiet it down a bit... im not looking for super quiet but about the volume it was before i went to LT's and no cats... i like the borla bark but just want it to tone down just a hair. what borla turbo does everyone else run with no cats?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Anyone
Old 12-03-2011, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im running long tube headers full 3 inch exhaust into a.borla xr-1 and i loveit lol sounds badass at wot and at cruising
Old 12-05-2011, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

I have that now... Way to loud... I'm just looking for one of the borla turbo mufflers... Just dont know which one...
Old 12-05-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the turbo xs. Its deep sounding but extremely tame at cruise. And no drone at all.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Staging Lane

which one? I just want to know a part number or case size... I called borla and the tech guy told me to run a borla xl muffler that was 7 inch round and 32 inch long... But that seems huge and would be way to quiet...
Old 12-06-2011, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine is 14 long 9.5 wide.

It's flowmaster size and straight though. I cannot figure out why it's so quiet, but it is.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Before the turbo I had LT's, 3" pipe into a single in dual out xr1 (oval about 16" long) and that thing was quiet until you stood on it. Now I have 3.5" exhaust into a 15" long 5" round xr1 racing muffler (part #40086). It is to loud imo and kinda sounds like glass packs. The best thing I can tell you is to get on borla's website and look through their mufflers and compare the sizes (bigger muffler is generally quieter). From my experience with Borlas I have found their oval mufflers to be quieter and if you get one with an offset it could be even quieter (although it may reduce flow).

Other option besides a Borla:
If your truck is a NBS, find a factory duramax exhaust system because the muffler is very quiet and the tubing is 3.5" so you could still use it with you supercharger. I would call different muffler shops and ask them if they have one that they took off a duramax. The first muffler shop I asked had two actually and I got it for $115 installed.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a stock duramax muffler behind headers and an off road y. It was silent until I cut off my over axle pipe and turn down. Didn't have enough axle clearance. Now it drones when dfco kicks in. Exhaust shop just ran it straight with no kick up over the axle..
Old 12-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

I really wanna stick with borla... Love their sound... Anyone have videos with borla turbo and no cats?

Quick Reply: which borla with no cats and LT's?