Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

broke off header bolt

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broke off header bolt

Alright, heres the problem. Im in the process right now of installing my headers on my 2000 5.3. Lastnight I got everything unbolted and taken apart (after a little cussing and bleeding). As I was unbolting the drivers side exaust manifold I realized there was nothing holding it in the back. When i looked closer I found that the last header bolt (the one in the back close the firewall) had broken off. I know i didn't do it because I can see the carbon build up from the exaust gases leaking for a long time. The problem is the bolt is broke off flush with the block and won't come out. I don't want to bolt up the headers with it still leaking. I thought about trying to tap what is left of the bolt with a drill then try and get it out but I don't think is enough room back there. What do yall think I should do? Is the leak a big problem or should I just bolt em' up with 5 bolts
Old 03-16-2006, 12:29 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you dont get it out, the headers will leak. Hell I didnt get mine quite tight enough, and that same spot leaked. Id say try to ez out it, but it will be hard to get back there with a drill. sometimes Ive been ablr to hold tension on th estud, and loosen it enough to get a small pair of channel locks on there, but that bolt is prolly too tight. Good luck though
Old 03-16-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

You may be able to get a angle drill in there, if you can find a lefthand drill bit it may come out once it gets a good bite (Hopefully) or at least while your doing the lefthand drillbit there will be a hole for the ez-out. I Feel sorry for ya, that frign suks. but not fixin it is surely gonna be a leak....pak,pak,pak,pak,pak,pak,pak,pak,pak,pak, see it's annoying and it's not even leaking yet.... good luck
Old 03-16-2006, 01:46 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastCrewCab4x4
You may be able to get a angle drill in there, if you can find a lefthand drill bit it may come out once it gets a good bite (Hopefully) or at least while your doing the lefthand drillbit there will be a hole for the ez-out. I Feel sorry for ya, that frign suks. but not fixin it is surely gonna be a leak....pak,pak,pak,pak,pak,pak,pak,pak,pak,pak, see it's annoying and it's not even leaking yet.... good luck

Mine made more of a Pht pht pht sound actually I didnt hear it, but I seafoamed the motor, and the smoke was the tell tell sign.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say angle drill, or dremel. Start real small...like 1/16" or 3/32" and just start drilling. Try and get as close as possible to the center of the broken bolt when you start drilling. Go in small increments....1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 3/16, 7/32, 1/4....etc. Once you hit 1/4, try an easy out. If it still wont budge, you can drill the entire bolt out and use a heli-coil. I dont envy you....good luck.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you can not get a drill back thier we sell something at my work that can probably do it. RUns baout 30-50$ not sureo n the cost. It goes into a drill and it has a 90* angle on it. Lemme find it on milwaukee tools website and ill edit back up in a little bit.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba...84_no_127418_Y

if needed i can get exact price just let me know.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sucks! I hate it for you. I'll drink a cold one in your honor I'd try the left handed drill bit and the 90* adapter. You may be able to rent a 90* drill from an equipment rental place. I know they make an air drill that is small if you have a compressor.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

weld a washer to what's left of the bolt and then weld a nut to the washer. while it's hot melt some wax on it. i work in a machine and trust me it works great on broken studs.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Launching!

I would put the headers on and take it to someone who can do like 5.3 racer said.

Welding a nut on the stud almost always works....then if that doesnt work then you can always have the option of going back and using an ez out or drilling it out.
If you try and fail with they ez out your going to end up in a worse situation.

In the shops that I have worked in the first thing you do when you break a bolt is get the welder to weld a nut on there.....evenif he breaks the nut off he can just put another and another and another on there...

Quick Reply: broke off header bolt