Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Broken header bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to knock the **** out of the idiot who decided to save $20 by using those peice of crap header bolts. I trashed one header bolt hole trying to drill out a broken header bolt, I also have to take that head to a machine shop to have it fixed and heli coiled and to pull out two bolts on the other head that broke off!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Staging Lane

yeah After I bought my truck we noticed three broken on the drivers side and two on the passenger. Isn't it true that those tiny air leaks, I say tiny because I cant hear them at all, will throw off the computer. I'm just too busy and lazy to put it down for a weekend or worse to get those things replaced. It seems to run fine.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well finally got in there to get the harder bolt out (one broken inside head). Got a 90 degree drill and got a hole drilled as close to center as I could about 1 inch deep. Applied some heat tapped an easy out in there got on the ol wrench and broke the mother clean off inside the bolt. I even tried drilling the easy out but thats not happenin so I guess the heads are comin off. Gonna order the 317 ones as i'm runnin a supercharger.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

I guess I have to say it again: Stage 8! As far as breaking off bolts and screw extractors. You're supposed to take your steroid shots AFTER you finish working on you engine, not before.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well another day and another failed attempt. I used a carbide drill bit and did manage to drill the easy out and a bit of the bolt and did manage to drill a new hole (yaayaa).
Then someone broke the drill bit off inside the new hole, ain't sayin who.... And of course it didn't break off where I could grab it ohhhh no. Also the read the dipstick post by me so ya'll can get a real good laugh at my expense.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tweeder
Well another day and another failed attempt. I used a carbide drill bit and did manage to drill the easy out and a bit of the bolt and did manage to drill a new hole (yaayaa).
Then someone broke the drill bit off inside the new hole, ain't sayin who.... And of course it didn't break off where I could grab it ohhhh no. Also the read the dipstick post by me so ya'll can get a real good laugh at my expense.
I took my heads to the machine shop and they told me that it would be better to get a new set of 6.0 heads. It was $40 to extract the 2 bolts on the 1 head, but $90 to get the broken tap out and retap the hole to 3/8 and I drilled into a water jacket too. I can get 317 heads for $225 so Im just going to do that rather than put somewhat questionable heads on.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greentahoe
I took my heads to the machine shop and they told me that it would be better to get a new set of 6.0 heads. It was $40 to extract the 2 bolts on the 1 head, but $90 to get the broken tap out and retap the hole to 3/8 and I drilled into a water jacket too. I can get 317 heads for $225 so Im just going to do that rather than put somewhat questionable heads on.

Yeah now that the heads are comin off, i'm puttin on the 317s also as i'm waiting on the mounting bracket for the novi 1000 so that'll lower the compresion ratio.