Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Broken off exhaust bolts

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For future reference bolt extractors should be used after you drill the bolt as large as you can. Keep drilling into the bolt using slightly larger bits until there are only the threads and a little bit of meat left of the bolt. THEN use the largest extractor you can. Bolt extractors are very hard and because of that they are also very brittle. If the bolt broke because the threads were stuck then the extractor will break too unless you drill enough out of the center to relieve some of the stress. BUT if the bolt broke from over tightening and is not really stuck by the threads you can use an extractor like you have pictured.

Either try and get that easyout out of the bolt and then continue drilling or do as John said and weld through a 3/8" nut and try to turn it free.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are skeered to weld a nut to it( which I wouldn't be) you can always use a left handed drill bit/bits to open it up, get as big as you can, might even get lucky and it grab and losing it. Worst case is you dick the threads up, have to chase or tap them the next size bigger
Old 07-08-2010, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

so would some one be screwed if they broke a bolt off in the drivers side head closest to the firewall? lol jus wonderin cuz ive been drivin around for more then a year with an exhaust leak cuz of that lol
Old 07-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Launching!

i just got done doing this to my denali, which happened on the passenger side rear bolt.

it was broke off beneath the surface of the head, drilled it out, used an ez-out, snapped that off into the head and ended up having to go buy a couple of carbide bits for my die grinder and then had to drill, tap , and helicoil the head. i figure that bolt cost me about 150 bucks(considering my time isnt worth anything).

what a ******* disaster.

get a die grinder with a good carbide bit( the ball kind) and take your time- bore out the hole, get a 8x1.25 helicoil set and do it up.

i replaced all of my exhaust manifold bolts with stainless grade 8 hardware so i dont ever have to worry about this type of thing agiain.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

just melt the head...its aluminum so it will go molten before the steel....and presto, you get the bolt back.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Zach
For future reference bolt extractors should be used after you drill the bolt as large as you can. Keep drilling into the bolt using slightly larger bits until there are only the threads and a little bit of meat left of the bolt. THEN use the largest extractor you can. Bolt extractors are very hard and because of that they are also very brittle. If the bolt broke because the threads were stuck then the extractor will break too unless you drill enough out of the center to relieve some of the stress. BUT if the bolt broke from over tightening and is not really stuck by the threads you can use an extractor like you have pictured.
X1000, not drilling a big enough hole is prob the reason most people snap the extractors.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

I have exhaust studs sitting in a box is what really irritates me...