Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

BTR stage 3 cams 6.2L L9h motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 08:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BTR stage 3 cams 6.2L L9h motor

Ok so I'm looking to put a cam in my 10 silverado, and yes it has the 6.2, I can't seem to find a lot of info on the BTR TRUCK cams out there in 6.2. Most write ups and videos are 5.3's. The guy from btr is saying to go with the stage 3 v2 and use my stock converter, then some one else says no that's no good you need a stall and that cam will make me loose torque. What the heck, is there any other thoughts on this. Then of course the whole thing about the vvt. Some say keep it, and others say get rid of it. I was under the impression that the VVT helps with torque right off if idle. The more I read the more I get confused on what's better. This is my daily drive, I don't haul anything heavy or pull a trailer, and do enjoy driving in a spirited fashion. I need some clarity on this. Hope someone can shed some light on this topic.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:29 AM
TOTM: January 2007

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I assume you are referring to the 218/224 cam - if yes, that is a non-VVT cam and would be mild in a 6.2. You won't need a stall with that cam.

I've used the Texas Speed VVT cams and they make good power and easy to tune.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Last Call
I assume you are referring to the 218/224 cam - if yes, that is a non-VVT cam and would be mild in a 6.2. You won't need a stall with that cam.

I've used the Texas Speed VVT cams and they make good power and easy to tune.
Yes that is the cam Im talking about. Ok glad to know I can use it without a stall. So what about torque loss with that cam. What numbers dictate that? That's another thing I was told about it. Which TS VVT cam are you referring to?
Old 10-01-2019, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by BLK6.2LTZ
Yes that is the cam Im talking about. Ok glad to know I can use it without a stall. So what about torque loss with that cam. What numbers dictate that? That's another thing I was told about it. Which TS VVT cam are you referring to?
I'm no cam expert, but larger intake and exhaust duration cams typically improve high rpm power while sacrificing some low end. My recommendation would be a VVT cam and delete AFM.

Rob (Vortec350SS) knows cams well, I would reach out to him.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

You’re not really losing torque.

It just moves the power band up a little.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by madmann26
You’re not really losing torque.

It just moves the power band up a little.
There is a torque loss in the lower RPM range where the engine is less efficient due to the cam.

Agree, a larger cam will make more higher in the RPM range.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the V1 BTR Stage 3 truck cam in an LS3 crate motor. I started with a 26-2800 stall and upgraded to a 3200 when I lost my third transmission and finally spent the $ to do the trans right. Obviously the built trans made a big difference but seat-of-the-pants feel between the two converters was night and day - I just can't imagine running the stock converter. I haven't had it retuned with the new converter but it "feels" like it gained 50hp from 3k on up. My dyno sheet is posted in the thread discussing this cam. I will say that although I built this truck with the idea that I'd continue to use it for towing, the converter has made it pretty impractical. When the trailer is loaded, it will flash the converter every time you leave from a stop and likes to blow the tires off if you're not extremely gentle. I have to use 4WD if I'm towing in the rain.
The following users liked this post:
esoteric_ast (10-14-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 06:52 PM
Teching In

After reading a very lengthy article on the advantages of running a VVT cam, Im pretty sure I'm going that route. BTR will custom grind a vvt cam with the stage 3 V2 truck specs and I can still run according to BTR my stock torque converter because of the 6l80e tranny along with the 6.2L. Hers a link to the article if someone wants ti read up on it.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/engines-drivetrain/1808-advantages-of-vvt-cam-in-gen-iv-v-engine

Old 10-14-2019, 05:37 PM
Teching In

So now that I going with the VVT cam from BTR the STAGE 3 v2 cam ground on a single bolt vvt cam. Who knows if I have to use the phase limiter and how hard is it to tune?
Old 10-24-2019, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK6.2LTZ
So now that I going with the VVT cam from BTR the STAGE 3 v2 cam ground on a single bolt vvt cam. Who knows if I have to use the phase limiter and how hard is it to tune?
you will have to use the cam phaser kit from summit , and idk for sure what your lift is but I would also do a trunion upgrade to your rockers and get the springs and retainers and pushrods aswell , I am very pleased with my stage 3 vvt from Texas speed . As far as tuning their will be new tuning tables
with the phaser limiter ,that your tuner can get ..
as I was told by my tuner to not start the truck until I installed the updated tune for my cam

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU GOT THE RIGHT CAM PHASER GEAR !! There two diff cam phaser parts that gm made you have to verify your using the right one if your gonna reuse your stock cam phaser gear , or just buy a new one , that they spec out with your new cam ..

I would also look to upgrading your oil pump , if you plan on Reving to 6k or higher ..

Quick Reply: BTR stage 3 cams 6.2L L9h motor