Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

buiding a motor

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buiding a motor

Hey guys ive talked to alot of people to try to figure out which way i wanna go with this build. Basically all i want is around a 500 hp small block that has monster torque. What i have is a 350 vortech it came out of a 97 module 2500 its got a four bolt main with the real vortech heads. i had one buddy of mine just slap a cam in his truck and but i super chip tuner in it with intake and dual exhaust it sounds good but is gutless. can yall give me some ideas to look into to build this motor. Like i said i only want about 500 hp i may decide to put a super charger on it one day if i wanna go real extreme.

Thanks
Old 09-23-2010, 04:57 PM
Staging Lane

Oh boy, old school sbc! Haha... My first thoughts would be a set of higher flowing (aluminum?) heads. A cam swap, be sure to get a cam that suits your application (prolly not gonna want one that makes power at 6K+, etc), a set of long tubes, get a converter to match your cam (unless you're man. obviously), address air/fuel somehow? Like maybe an aftermarket intake? The options for you are plentiful. I'm not real sure about the limitations of the stock internals, but i'd imagine 500 would be pushing it... probably to the point you'll want to address the issue. I'd start with heads, cam, headers, intake, and tc and see where that takes ya. That's just my opinion though, also most would recommend using a tuning service (ie BlackBear Performance, Nelson Performance, etc. over handheld tuners...cheaper that way too )
Old 09-23-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You want a DD motor or a race only style?
That decision will either open or shut many doors on your 500 build.

Tell us more of what your plans are with this vehical the engine is going in.

Altho if it was me. I would stroke it to a 383 with forged internals, work the heads and bolt on a FI system of some kind and easily make the 500. using a mild cam and great DD manners.
Ofcourse full supporting mods.

And just say NO to a superchips tune.. Get a real tune...
Old 09-23-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

500hp out of a SBC would be hard to achieve reliably or economically. I think you might need to switch to a carb as well.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Your not gonna get there without boost or spray. IMO, ditching the vortec and picking up an LSx would be step 1.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

Lets not all be hatin' on the SBC. If he really wants to get to 500hp in a DD setting, yes...I wouldn't even try without a full build. Needs forged internals, heads, the works. Bored and stroked wouldn't hurt either. Then top it off with FI, and you'd be good to go. So, its basically what do you want? Because its easier (I won't say cheaper cuz SBC internals are cheap compared to LSx) to get five hundy out of an LSx than an SBC, but certainly not undoable.

On a side note... I vote get an 8.1...
Old 09-24-2010, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

sorry guys its going in a mud truck so it wont be a DD. although i do want it to last awhile. i dont ever plain on revving the truck past 5500 rpm what ever tuner i get or custom tune i get im going to tell them i only want it to rev around 5500 rpm. i will eventually go with a different motor. but i fill if im going to rewire the truck or have to by new wiring harness i minus will go with a duramax build.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would use a carb motor. I had a 434 sbc that was well over 500 hp. I actually still have the rotating assembly and a block if you were interested in something like that. Eagle 4340 4" crank, Eagle H beam rods with new ARP 2000 rod bolts, JE pistons, and a 400 block. I only have 1200 miles on the crank rods and pistons. Anyway, spend the most money on heads. 5500 RPM's isn't that high, and I would suggest something with a real small runner. If you want "good" torque without a power adder you need bigger cubes. The best thing to do when deciding on an engine build is to think what you will realistically want to end up with for power. If you know you will be satisfied with 500, that is fine. If you think down the road you want to be 6 or 700, make sure the internals will handle that so you don't have to buy things twice. How long does a race last? Do you know what type of fuel you want to run (pump gas, e85, race gas, alcohol)?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think 500hp daily driver under 5000rpms without going to forced induction or spray is unattainable unless you have a 400sbc, even then its pushing it.

For your 350 I would stroke it to a forged 383 and use 6"rods. The fuel injectors will run out of steam and the intake manifold sucks so you'd want to swap to the L31 marine intake manifold. You also want to swap the PCM to a 0411pcm and have a custom tune. A set of longtube headers and a modified 1 ton y-pipe and a good catback. And of course port your vortec heads and a nice cam and I think you'd be in a solid 400 hp territory if N/A. Add some spray or a whipple and I think you'd be there at 500.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Gadgetized
I would use a carb motor. I had a 434 sbc that was well over 500 hp. I actually still have the rotating assembly and a block if you were interested in something like that. Eagle 4340 4" crank, Eagle H beam rods with new ARP 2000 rod bolts, JE pistons, and a 400 block. I only have 1200 miles on the crank rods and pistons. Anyway, spend the most money on heads. 5500 RPM's isn't that high, and I would suggest something with a real small runner. If you want "good" torque without a power adder you need bigger cubes. The best thing to do when deciding on an engine build is to think what you will realistically want to end up with for power. If you know you will be satisfied with 500, that is fine. If you think down the road you want to be 6 or 700, make sure the internals will handle that so you don't have to buy things twice. How long does a race last? Do you know what type of fuel you want to run (pump gas, e85, race gas, alcohol)?
i wanna run regular 93 octane and i want it to never run hot easeing around all day