Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

building 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building 5.3

i have an 04 ecsb chevy 4x4 1500 with a 5.3. ive got hedman shorty headers,no cats, cai, throttle body space, efi live tuning. and just had a 100 hp shot installed. i havent had a chance to drive it with the headers or nitrous yet (im away at work). but i want to get this thing really going. i wanna be walking all over those eco boosts and hemis. ive looked into a tvs 1900 and its going to cost me 8400 installed. i have no problem spending the cash. i like the idea of the supercharger because my truck will maintain its driveability. im not worried about mpg. but what are my options? i realize i should get a stall, cam, and heads. which ones and where do i get them? and it wont be me installing it, theres a shop i trust here thats going to be doing it. input would be really appreciated!! if anyone has the same truck thats already done this id really like to see a speedo vid. i wanna get this stuff ordered asap. please help
Old 09-28-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Throw them shorties in the trash and get longtubes you can go to Texas speed and get long tubes and y pipe for under 500...if you do a supercharger,get a blower cam like 211/218 on 114-116 lsa get some gears tru trac. Yes you going to want a stall and maybe a built tranny or look in 80e swap more then half of ppl. On here has the 80e swap!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:13 AM
Staging Lane

First off, shorties are fine depending on what you're trying to accomplish, but since you're not running cats then you should go with LT headers. Throw away the TB spacer. For cam, if you're going FI then I'd suggest the LS6 or GT2-3 but the "trucker" cam is pretty solid too. Just guessing, but I'm thinking you have 3.73s already which will be fine but a stall and a built tranny are a must.

As a side note, my dad has a "hemi" and he can't even hang with my truck after the cam swap still untuned.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Teching In

Agreed! you need to get a built tranny, 3200-3600 torque converter, truc trac diff locker and 4.56 gears. Super charging the 5.3 is great but what kind of numbers are you looking for, I mean what are your goals. You just cant dump money in this and expect it to perform, you gotta have a plan and map everything out. Personally, I like the procharges put they do not perform anything like a twin screw. It is important that you match the cam shaft, TC, heads, and supercharger up b/c they have to work together. Understand that you have a heavy truck with a tiny bore engine so before you dump tons of money into this, you may consider an engine swap that will be more receptive to mods. I had a 5.3 in the truck in my sig (totalled it back in june) and making power was hard. I didnt see the numbers that I wanted for the amount of money that I spent which is the reason that my next step was to get a procharger. I made 337 RWHP with the stock heads. My goal was to make 350hp at the wheels but even with lots of tunning, I didnt see those numbers. But I will say that it sounded awesome!

Last edited by tcr0148; 09-28-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im still waiting on tuning and have traction issues or id post up a video of my truck. but i agree get your base lined up and map out a plan before you just throw money at it. if you get a SC youll want a built tranny, prob a 2800-3200 stall, gearing id keep around 4:11's youll have to step up your fuel system quite a bit, get ya a good set of heads, eather 243's or get your stockers worked. the cam you choose will be based on what route you wanto go. also a tbss intake would be a great add'on
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Teching In

I'm not sure what numbers I wanna see. I'm not even sure of the numbers it has not. I just love
My truck and it looks deadly so I don't wanna start from scratch by buying a new one. I don't plan on getting a supercharger and cam,heads. I was thinking either or. If I just went with heads,cam, and stall do I really have to build my tranny still?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Teching In

The tranny in your 04 is **** and probably has 100k miles on it and its a 4wd so it sees more stress already. You will need efi-live software retuned, 4.56 gears, tru trac, longtube headers, muffler, and an intake. The easy bolt ons should be your first modifications. Then a 3200-3600 torque convertor is a must. Try checking out gmfullsize.com, those guys are really big into lifted trucks.

Below is a short sound clip of my truck

Old 09-28-2012, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by darnie
Im still waiting on tuning and have traction issues or id post up a video of my truck. but i agree get your base lined up and map out a plan before you just throw money at it. if you get a SC youll want a built tranny, prob a 2800-3200 stall, gearing id keep around 4:11's youll have to step up your fuel system quite a bit, get ya a good set of heads, eather 243's or get your stockers worked. the cam you choose will be based on what route you wanto go. also a tbss intake would be a great add'on
good points but he has a lifted truck with the old 4spd tranny (bigger, taller and heavier tires), he will need more than a 4.10 gear to move that thing. I had 4.10 and it wasnt enough even with all the mods. 4.56 if not 4.88. those older tranny's are not like the newer 6spds of todays trucks.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Unless you're on 35"s or more then a 2600 stall with 4.10s or even 3.73s with 33"s will be fine and a heck of a lot more drivable. I am running 3.73s with 33s with a stock stall and am waiting to blow the tranny so I can run a TB stall with a mildly built tranny, but it is fine now. I drive my truck daily and don't want to sacrifice drive-ability at all.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blueshifty
Unless you're on 35"s or more then a 2600 stall with 4.10s or even 3.73s with 33"s will be fine and a heck of a lot more drivable. I am running 3.73s with 33s with a stock stall and am waiting to blow the tranny so I can run a TB stall with a mildly built tranny, but it is fine now. I drive my truck daily and don't want to sacrifice drive-ability at all.
my buddy has a loose 2400 torque converter in his stock 2011 truck with gears and seriously, our trucks drove pretty similar. Its really hard to notice the difference in daily driving. Chris at circle D custom built my TC for my application b/c the 278mm dont work on the 6spd tranny. My TC was a Pro Series Stage III 258mm. It worked awesome with the 35's but I could have used the 4.56 gear.......its only about 250rpm more at 70mph than the 4.10 but first gear would have been really short. I think that he'll be happy with basic bolt ons and gears.

Quick Reply: building 5.3