Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Building My First LSX Engine... Opinions Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:45 AM
Avery@texas-speed.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Building My First LSX Engine... Opinions Welcome

The other night I picked up a LS1 longblock ( minus the intake and oil pan ) for a really cheap price, hopefully this doesn't come back to haunt me. The block has some surface rust which I am pretty sure will hone out, and 2 cylinders that have a bit of build up, but its very light, again I'm hoping it hones out. The heads are 806 and pretty much trash IMO. The crank probably needs to be polished and just for safety sake might make sure the connecting arms are true. So this engine will be a total rebuild from the ground up!

PLANS - Here is where I am entertaining opinions
- Block Work: Hot tank, Magnafluxed, Honed ( hopefully ), New cam bearings
- Crank Work: Cleaned and polished/balanced
- Connecting Arms: Want to unsure they are true and straight
- Pistons: Clean up and reuse with new rings
- Heads: Most likely stock 243/799 milled 20-30
- Intake: NNBS/TBSS
- Cam: I really like the Comp LSR 223/231. Probably not the best choice
- Rockers: Stock with trunion upgrade
- Lifters: LS7 with LS2 buckets
- Pushrods: Ill order from TSP or BTR
- Valve Springs: Duals From TSP or BTR
- Rebuild Kit: TSP or BTR
Anything I am missing please chime in...

As far as honing vs boring: Can stock pistons be used if honed or bored? If I have to bore this block I want the very minimum possible. Less then 10 if possible but really hoping a hone will do the job! I want to stick to stock size if all possible! If for some reason I have to bore it, where would one get pistons for the bore size? 3.903/3.905 or very worst case 3.908 ( at this point I may just toss the block honestly )... Cant see it being reliable with that much material taken out.

Any and all input is accepted at this point. I want to build this motor but I also may resell it if the work turns out to be thousands of dollars. I have always wanted a lsx swap in my truck. Something different from the usual LQ swap.

If I proceed... This will be going in my 05 CCSB with a 3200 stall and 4.30 gears... Or maybe a project down the road!

I appreciate the responses!
J.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:50 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LS1 block typically wont go past .006 safely thats why most kits are 347s or 248s

honestly you can get a factory shortblock for less then youll have in rebuilding that shortblock

i picked up a new aluminum 6.2 shortblock for 2395 and they had iron 6.2s for 1995 this is thru scoggin-dickeys