Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

building for torque

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building for torque

after much reading and looking around i have decided that i need (want) more torque out of my 04 5.3 z71. i pull a small stock trailer with it and it does fine, but i have saved up a little money to build with and want to spend it right. so far i have a cai and dual exhaust and that is it. i am wanting to add
tri y header- cant find, anyone got a supplier for this?
vinci cam- ultra torque
and when it is all done a call to tuner to make it run like a sewing machine.
unlike what i read from, most of you i dont shift or even get close to anything above 3000 on the tach as this is a dd and part time farm truck. any thoughts on better parts for torque or suppliers for the parts would be great.
thanks
matt
Old 10-13-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long tube headers and a tune will be good here.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

The "feeling" of more torque has a lot to do with how the transmision shifts. Assuming you have an automatic, I suggest you get yours tuned so that your convertor locks up in 2nd gear and shifts early under heavy throtttle. It's impossible to use the torque you have now if the transmision down shifts or allows the engine to rev past the torque curve. It is possible to tune your shifts to keep RPM below 3000 regardless of throttle position and eliminate convertor slip as much as possible.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Doug Thorley Try-Y headers. I bought them for torque as well. They're excellent quality. What gears and tire size are on your truck. That will make more difference than any power mods you add.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gears are the answer for you. I put 4.30s on my tahoe and it feels much torqier down low. I drive it on the highway with my stock 29" tires all the time. I have given up a mpg or so.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:53 AM

the truck is dead stock, tires and gears ( 3.73). i would regear, but i spend way to much time on the highway to lose any mileage. were did you get the tri y headers? i looked and couldnt find a single source for them. the tune is in the works as soon as the cam and other mods are done. other than the cam tune and tri y headers, or long tubes if i cant find the tri y's, is there anything else than can be done? thanks for all the good info
matt
Old 10-13-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fastest way to get more torque and the only sacrifice is money. (more money than I can afford right now but maybe not outside your budget)
Attached Thumbnails building for torque-picture009.jpg  
Old 10-13-2010, 01:01 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 378 Likes on 257 Posts

Supercharger
Old 10-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Praise The Lowered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were getting a set of tri y headers I would get a set of Belangers..very high quality!!
A stock cam is probably going to produce the most torque down low, There are cams that will make more torque....just higher in your power band..Unless you want to swap gears/or run a higher stall converter.
-IMO Get your tri y lt's and one of the real small comp cams (206/212 .51x/.52x ) and 4.10 gears..or like the others are saying, get a roots supercharger
Old 10-13-2010, 01:35 PM

a super charger would be great, but my wife is only so understanding and tell her that she and i are eating spam for a year might be more than she will take. lets try to kee things in or under a 2 grand budget. i probably should ahve said that to begin with, sorry. the truck tows fine as it sits as long as i am mindfull that it is not my cummins powered dodge and that it is only a half ton. i am really just looking for a little extra. the tune will come, the gears are a no go, i am looking for any other bolt ons that might help. is comps 206 better than the vinci ultra torque? i really dont know why i am stuck on that cam. if so i will go with the comp version. would 1.8 rockers help down low?
thanks
matt

Quick Reply: building for torque