Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Built 8.1 vs Built Duramax...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Built 8.1 vs Built Duramax...

a STOCK Dmax with NOTHING more than a Power Edge Juice Box made 550rwhp and 900rwtq .....it would take a VERY well built 8.1 to even come close to that

I have read stories on diesel sites about super-trick $15,000 Dmax's putting out 900hp and 1800ft/lbs tq......an 8.1 doesn't have a hope in hell of putting out that kind of power
Old 10-03-2003, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a STOCK Dmax with NOTHING more than a Power Edge Juice Box made 550rwhp and 900rwtq .....it would take a VERY well built 8.1 to even come close to that

where did you hear this? the only people that have dynoed on this board that i know of (could be more) are me and trevor with out 03 D/A combos. he made a lot more dyno power becuase of the error dynojets have at elevation with turbo motors (atmoshere is way different) so the correction factor is way off. ours with the newest hot juice box level 4(125/300) made 358 rwhp 738 rwtq 5 days old truck. the hp was a bit off by maybe 15 rwhp due to the really hot turbo ( we did a lot of test all in a row on the dyno).
Old 10-03-2003, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

it was a post I was reading on dieselstop.com (I think)....it may have had the injector pressure turned up too but I do know that the internals, exhaust and turbo were all stock

I've personally known people that have owned the older 6.5 and after turning the fuel pressure up have managed to blow up 4L80's and TH400's....and the 6.5 was ALOT less of a motor than the Dmax
Old 10-03-2003, 02:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Hrm...could some big AFR-335 BBC heads be strapped on those blocks? If so...would it be feasable to run the older 96-00 454 intake manifold so you can get better heads? It isn't planned to be a topend screamer maybe a 5800rpm redline. If you could run some serious heads I'd bet you could pick up some power.

Could you not open up that Whipple via porting and honing too for more flow?

Slowverado...how is Quad's truck setup with twin turbos? This is very interesing to me.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

um dude, get a lightning. run 12s with a couple of boltons. run 10s with more mods also hitman, dont confuse this new generation 496" 8.1L motor with any other old school GM Big Block. they are not the same at all. if you really want to do all this, go with a lighter truck. the 8.1L is a dog compared to fast sport trucks. dont race a 6500+ lbs truck. just my opinion thought. because it sounds like you want a full out drag race setup. this is meant as a work truck.

also yelo, i follow the turbo diesel forums a lot, hell i drive one, but i have never seen the kind of powre you have talked about without nitrous, propane, etc. now a few guys have stacked boxes/programs and gotten into the 460 rwhp range but they are very far and few between. that is also a very risky combo. VERY risky. and most boxes are not pressure boxes anymore and nearly all the big boxes like mine or teh quadzilla are injector pulse width type programing.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

gator...thanks for the info, I haven't driven a diesel since my 1986 F250 died on me in '95 so I can't say 100% certain that the guy wasn't talking out his ***.....
Old 10-03-2003, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

um dude, get a lightning. run 12s with a couple of boltons. run 10s with more mods also hitman, dont confuse this new generation 496" 8.1L motor with any other old school GM Big Block. they are not the same at all. if you really want to do all this, go with a lighter truck. the 8.1L is a dog compared to fast sport trucks. dont race a 6500+ lbs truck. just my opinion thought. because it sounds like you want a full out drag race setup. this is meant as a work truck.
The Lightning is too impractical being a reg cab...besides I already have me a Ford truck that is going to get worked over via a 408 w/ AFR-185's (shooting for 400rwhp through build automatic) when my lil 302 gets too tired; hopefully it will hit a 12.99 N/A when finished...even if it can't get to that speed N/A a little shot of spray should help too.

I need the size of the crew cab 2500HD. I need the space as I am fairly tall as are my family/friends...packing 4 people into an ext cab sucks. The sheer size of the 1500 extcab is what kept me from doing anything silly with it to this point, well that and the weakass 4L60E & 8.5" rear axle. While it is pretty silly working over a truck as portly as a crew cab 2500HD 4x4 it will be nice when all systems are go.

Also, I just wanted to make sure Diesel is better to go with than a big Gas Motor. I read that the 8.1 is based off the 454 block wise...just the heads/intake are different as what I was told by someone on this site. The more I think about it the more a Diesel makes sense in this truck. More power and better economy. The bottom end of the Duramax is strong also. Steel crank and Fractured steel rods with a deep skirt block...so what's not to like?
Old 10-03-2003, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

i could see nearly 430-440 hp at the motor and 850-875 ft-lbs of tq at the crank if the guy was talking about crankshaft power, but no way rwhp. no biggie, i had a guy tell me a few days ago tha this 04 cummins was gonna eat this duramax for lunch. he said it would make 600 tq at the motor but with "these new trannys and convertors dodge has, it would make about 800 rwtq......." - i just shook my head in disbelief and told him when he wanted to run for money, i would be glad to

Old 10-03-2003, 08:08 PM
TECH Veteran

i could see nearly 430-440 hp at the motor and 850-875 ft-lbs of tq at the crank if the guy was talking about crankshaft power, but no way rwhp. no biggie, i had a guy tell me a few days ago tha this 04 cummins was gonna eat this duramax for lunch. he said it would make 600 tq at the motor but with "these new trannys and convertors dodge has, it would make about 800 rwtq......." - i just shook my head in disbelief and told him when he wanted to run for money, i would be glad to
Be careful...Cummins get insanely fast for little amounts of cash too. That Long 6 is a force to be reckoned with...
Old 10-03-2003, 09:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

um, nope the cummins is a dog stock, until this "new" HO version. for years teh stock 12 valve CTD made 175 hp. now they are legendary for going over 300,000 miles before a rehaul and they can take a serous beating with major boost, but they have had for years very small turbos and their injectors are maxed out very quickly with just small increases from programers. so without major turbo and injector changes with programing, they arent much to deal with compared to a duramax or PSD programed. esp considering their very low reving capability. speed is determined with the amount of acceleration stretched out as long as possible throughout the rpm band. since a CTD only revs to about 2500 rpms max, it isnt much of a track star. that combined with their trash automatic trannys and no one wants to race a turbo diesel with a manual (lose your boost).

just my .02

Quick Reply: Built 8.1 vs Built Duramax...