Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Busted grease boot on upper control arm (Again!!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Busted grease boot on upper control arm (Again!!)

Damn it!!! I just got this fixed this past summer under warranty ('01 Silverado). Today I notice some grease on the ground in my garage (just under the passenger side front tire area). After further inspection, yep the damn grease boot on the upper control arm is busted (AGAIN!!). Damn thing is ripped wide open and grease is everywhere.

What the hell is the problem? Does Chevy have some cheap *** boots or what? I'll just have to waste some more of my time and take the truck in Monday to the dealer and have it fixed again under warranty.

Anybody else having this problem? Oh ya, I've had no problems with my drivers side upper control arm boot. Weird, huh.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you ever go to the quicky lube places? They sometimes like to go crazy with the grease if they don't have much experience or training.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CashDudeHomie
Do you ever go to the quicky lube places? They sometimes like to go crazy with the grease if they don't have much experience or training.
Nope, I have always taken my truck to the dealership for service (oil changes, etc.). So, unless they have some bonehead that doesn't know what there doing when they lube my chassis, I have no idea why this would happen to me again. BASTARDS! Their going keep replacing them until they get it right

Also, they don't just replace the boot, they replace the entire upper control arm when they fix it. I'll tell you what, I'm going to complain to my dealer about their service department (oil change guys) and see what I can swindle out of them (maybe some free oil changes or something).

* On a side note, I did a search over at www.pacific-audio.com (in their truck discussion area) and it looks as if others are having (or have had) the same problem with their trucks as I am having.
Old 11-29-2003, 02:07 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Sportside
I'll tell you what, I'm going to complain to my dealer about their service department (oil change guys) and see what I can swindle out of them (maybe some free oil changes or something).
Yikes, that's asking for trouble. Complain about the oil change guys and then take it back there for oil changes. They'll know who was talking about them.
Old 11-29-2003, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by XLR8NSS
Yikes, that's asking for trouble. Complain about the oil change guys and then take it back there for oil changes. They'll know who was talking about them.
TRUE, scratch that part then. Hell hath no fury like a mechanic's scorn (or something like that) Don't want them to "f" up my truck. Well, the next best thing to do is patiently wait until they fix it and then walk away with a since it's covered under warranty.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine was ripped by a quick change place too. Guess I should fix it, but I'll probably just get some new joints when I order a 2/4.... eh anyone changed the upper or lowers yet??
Old 12-01-2003, 08:05 AM
Launching!

I had both of my uppers blow out on my 01. There doesn't seem to be a replacement joint. The only part listed was the complete A-arm kit. Took it to the dealer and they replaced everything on both sides. Blamed it on lube place said they overfilled the boot and it split. Funny thing is the truck was never at the quick lube place. In fact I don't think I ever greased the damn things at all.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Brandon
eh anyone changed the upper or lowers yet??
If you mean changed to aftermarket ones, yes, I have. I have DJM lower control arms on my truck (I got their 2/4 kit). I had it all done and aligned at a local Les Schwab tire shop in my area. They did a good job on the install and the truck rides very good. I'm running Doestch Tech shocks with the drop also.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I surprised they dont try to blame the ripped boots on the fact that your truck is lowered. My dealer refused to replace my #8 plug wire that kept jumping off because I had headers. I tore my drivers side one when I lowered my truck which was when I found that you can't just buy a replacement boot, great design there...