Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Bypass Valve Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bypass Valve Question

Ive gone over the instructions 50 times and I'll probably go over them another 50 before I start the install. I seem to have a problem. The bypass valve is a part of the FMU installation (it is between the line run from the stock manifold line that was removed from the fuel regulator and the FMU) and Im going to use larger injectors with custom tune instead of the FMU. . What do I do??
Old 04-16-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Someone has to have some ideas about this. Does the bypass tube/ valve have to be connected to the fuel pressure regulator or can it just be mounted somewhere under the hood??
Old 04-16-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Regular

The bypass valve just needs a vacuum source from the intake manifold. Instead of t'ing off from the FMU, run a straight vacuum line to the bypass valve. I hope this makes sense. If not, let me know and I'll try to clarify.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by black_yukon
The bypass valve just needs a vacuum source from the intake manifold. Instead of t'ing off from the FMU, run a straight vacuum line to the bypass valve. I hope this makes sense. If not, let me know and I'll try to clarify.
Ya, I kind of get what you are saying. Where should I hook up a vacuum line in order to connect it to the bypass valve?
This wont affect where I need to hook up the boost gauge will it?? Forgive my ignorance I havent gooten into the boost gauge hook up yet. Do I need to hook anything up to the Fuel pressure Regulator? I dont see why I would since Im using the bigger injectors and custom tune.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:13 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by greentahoe
Ya, I kind of get what you are saying. Where should I hook up a vacuum line in order to connect it to the bypass valve?
This wont affect where I need to hook up the boost gauge will it?? Forgive my ignorance I havent gooten into the boost gauge hook up yet. Do I need to hook anything up to the Fuel pressure Regulator? I dont see why I would since Im using the bigger injectors and custom tune.
He's right, the bypass valve just needs a vacuum source. There is a nipple on the passenger side of the intake manifold. You can break off the plastic end, and run your bypass valve to that. Then you can tee your boost guage off of that line.

Nothing needs to be hooked to the FPR.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks!!! A tech buddy over at GM is going to do the oil pan tap for me and let me use the lift to install the inline fuel pump hopefully this weekend. Then Im hoping to take Wed and Thurs off next week and complete the rest of the install. I appreciate the quick help!!
Old 04-17-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Regular

I think with the Vortech FMU setup, you T off of the vaccum line that goes to the fuel pressure regulator. You can still T off of it to control the bypass, but with my Procharger, I used the nipple on the passenger side. I also t'd off the nipple for my boost gauge.