Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

A/C Belt Gettingy

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Been there. Used to wait to leave the driveway until it quit

Annoying as f**

On that truck that did it I never did mess with fixing it though. New truck is starting to develop a little bit of that issue and I think it's just an old belt that needs to be replaced. It's original.

I'm a tech and back in the day we had a rash of Chrysler Caravans come through with belt squeaks and none of us techs at the shop ever found anything wrong with them and the only thing that would fix them was the gator back belt.

It's the one with all the slits across the ribs. And I think continental now makes one...?
I've had a lot of LS powered cars and at one point in their lives, they all developed a belt squeek. Always idler pulley or tensioner related. I usually start replacing parts until it goes away. New belt first, then new idler pulley, then new tensioner. That always 100% got rid of them. But this Magnuson has been murder with the belt squeeks. I'm 100% positive it's because Magnuson mis-machined the main bracket. It's a common issue amongst other platforms that use TVS1900/ 2300 blowers. It's an epidemic amongst the SRT guys and they resort to all sorts of custom machining, etc to fix the issue. I improved mine a lot by shimming the alternator a little, scuffing the idler pullies, using larger idler pullies, but I can fully see how a ribbed belt could be my saving grace. If not, I'll go down the path of custom machine work once I go 8-rib and more boost later down the line. But ya if the squeek continued after the motor was warm, I'd be too embarassed to drive it. $10 grand into the build and it sounds like an 86 Taurus with the hood popped up in the autozone parking lot... sheesh.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Hahaa lmfao.

Man that's crazy that they didn't get the alignment right. I considered asking about alignment but you seemed to know more out of the gate so I didn't mention it. There's almost nothing you can do for a misalignment except fix it, or that belt. Just googled the continental quiet belt. Looks exactly like the gatorback that used to cure our issues in the shop.

Do you think someone could custom CNC you a pulley with a better offset to get the alignment correct?
Old 01-27-2020, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hahaa lmfao.

Man that's crazy that they didn't get the alignment right. I considered asking about alignment but you seemed to know more out of the gate so I didn't mention it. There's almost nothing you can do for a misalignment except fix it, or that belt. Just googled the continental quiet belt. Looks exactly like the gatorback that used to cure our issues in the shop.

Do you think someone could custom CNC you a pulley with a better offset to get the alignment correct?
Well actually the Magnuson blower bracket is completely independent from the a/c compressor, so they a/c belt popping off is not related to the squeek. I've removed the a/c belt when diagnosing the squeek, and the squeek remains. Two independent issues lol. Doing some research though it looks like if I have a bent Magnuson bracket, I wouldn't be the first person. This 10-page thread resulted in the guy replacing his main blower bracket and resolving his squeel and belt issues:

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-540316/page9/
Old 01-27-2020, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I was just referring to the squeak portion.

But thinking about the balancer and both issues..

Which balancer are you using? The OEM has an outer ring bonded to the inner and those are bad about starting to come apart/shifting over time and can cause alignment issues. Especially with a blower. A new OE pulley may be a good idea to try and they're fairly cheap
Old 01-27-2020, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I was just referring to the squeak portion.

But thinking about the balancer and both issues..

Which balancer are you using? The OEM has an outer ring bonded to the inner and those are bad about starting to come apart/shifting over time and can cause alignment issues. Especially with a blower. A new OE pulley may be a good idea to try and they're fairly cheap
I'm still using a pinned stock balancer. Visually the bonded section looks great. I've read that bone stock truck owners have replaced their balancers thinking that was the cause of the a/c belt jumping off and it didn't fix the issue. Other guys went to a high-dollar ATI balancer and still had the a/c belt issue. When I'm going to the hassle of replacing the balancer I'm doing a small cam, 8-rib, 5 more psi, and a complete retune on a different OS, so it's a bit of a project. I barely started driving it after finishing the new crossmember and I'm really enjoying having it on the road.

Funnily enough, my 05 Silverado which was a turbo truck, had like 130k on the original balancer and a/c belt, then I put another ~20k on it at 725whp and that belt never once came off. Granted, positive displacement setups are vastly different than turbocharged when it comes to belt / balancer load.
The following users liked this post:
00pooterSS (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 10:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Gotcha

Well you could try to make your a/c belt tensioner manual somehow, or try to rig something up to make it hold the belt tighter to see if that helps.

I'm picturing putting the used one on and making a mark on where it sets. Then taking it off and drilling a hole in the arm and tapping a hole behind that to put a bolt through it to hold it in place, then put it on and crank it over and put the bolt through... I don't know, just throwing **** out at this point
Old 01-29-2020, 04:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 128 Likes on 108 Posts

The stretch belt is actually pretty easy to install. I removed the tensioners from both our SS's and did the later style stretch belt. Working great for thousands of miles now..

Gates has a little install tool but I couldn't make it fit on an '06 6.0, so I just laid the belt on the compressor pulley, then zip tied the belt to the crank pulley and turned it with a breaker bar to finish it up.

Something to try anyway. If it doesn't help, you're only out the cost of the belt.

Richard
00pooterSS (01-29-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by someotherguy
The stretch belt is actually pretty easy to install. I removed the tensioners from both our SS's and did the later style stretch belt. Working great for thousands of miles now..

Gates has a little install tool but I couldn't make it fit on an '06 6.0, so I just laid the belt on the compressor pulley, then zip tied the belt to the crank pulley and turned it with a breaker bar to finish it up.

Something to try anyway. If it doesn't help, you're only out the cost of the belt.

Richard
I bought an AC Delco stretch belt which came with some kinda little tool. I'm having trouble envisioning where you'd use zip ties? The next time the belt pops off, I'll install the stretch belt. The tensioner belt has been fine for a week, but I'm sure it'll pop off again soon.
Old 01-29-2020, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

I couldn't picture where to use the zip ties either

Some stretch belts I can get on by just holding them up on the pulley and walking them on with a ratchet on the crank. Some I have to tie something through the pulley IF it has holes in it. I've used hose clamps for this too before and it worked out great. Zip ties would work just as well if you have one that's strong enough.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I think the proper way to put them on is to:

Slip over crank, let rest between timing cover and pulley
slide onto AC clutch
work on to pulley from the back end

When I did the G8 I read some guy did it like this, got it started on the crank then started the car. Worked for him. I didnt risk it, I turned the motor over by hand lmao
00pooterSS (01-29-2020)

Quick Reply: A/C Belt Gettingy