Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

C5 TB vs Truck TB

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 TB vs Truck TB

What is the difference between the C5 throttle body and the truck throttle body? Can a person simply replace the truck TB plug with the correct C5 plugs and the system still work correctly?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it is not plug and play. The truck TB is 75mm (actual blade size) and the C5 TB is 78mm (actual blade size)
Old 02-25-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Is it not plug-and-play due to the physical plug, or it is not plug-and-play because the controller is different?
Old 02-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well both. The connection socket is different and the C5 TB has a external TPS senor.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Veteran

but the truck TB must have a TPS sensor somewhere in it, wouldn't they use the same signal set?
Old 02-27-2010, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just curious, what are you trying to accomplish? What year truck throttle body are you trying to replace with a C5 style? Here is a link to where DR-X sort of answers your basic question though in how the TPS functions between the two. The TAC modules are different between the two styles as well.

If going by the '04 in your signature, yes it could very well be done, but you would most likely need a TAC module from an '01/'02 to make it happen. Speartech builds adapter harness for several applications, but not the exact thing your trying to accomplish, though a couple of them may play into the idea your trying to accomplish because your virtually trying the opposite of what they are.

Did that make any sense what-so-ever?
Old 02-27-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah I get what you are saying.

The reason I am looking at the C5 TB is in relation to the PCV system.

I just converted to the LS6 PCV system (04 LS6 valley cover) and had to drill/tap my LS1 manifold because the truck TBs don't have the PCV "line" in them. It is working fine but long term I want to convert to an LS6 manifold and do not want to repeat this process. Instead I would rather find a C5 TB and just bolt it on.

When you say a TAC module from an 01/02, I take it you mean an 01/02 truck. I was under the impression those were the cable TB version years.

The other alternative (actually kind of preferable really) would be to convert to the "older" cable TB setup. I'm about ready to undertake a T56 swap and the electronic TBs have a known issue with not allowing cruise in 6th gear. I just don't know what all would have to be replaced to do this.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK, gotcha. While GM went electronic throttle body across the board (except some vans) in ’03, there were quite a few models already running ETC. The Vette’s of course, then there were the trucks equipped with traction control, the 8.1L trucks and the lot of higher end trucks like the C3, Denali and Escalade; so there were bunch of the out there, just not as many people knew about it until it became mainstream.

So when I say ‘01/’02 model, that’s exactly what it means. I know they are plug and play harness wise with the latter model trucks and the TAC module from a Vette or CTS-V may be as well, but I just never heard of anyone trying to use one.

The cable route may be the easy way out sort of. It would seem like you would have to find a bin file for a ’04 Van that still had a cable operated throttle and then have someone do a segment swap for the T56. On the other hand, the Vette & CTS-V had both the ETC and T56 so it would seem as if that should be able to be accomplished as well. I really don’t know, I was just throwing some stuff out there and maybe if the thread stay’s alive someone will pick up on it that does know.

Good Luck!
Old 02-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw an 01 Tahoe with a DBW at work one day, I was very surprised.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: C5 TB vs Truck TB