Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cabin Noise/whistling

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin Noise/whistling

Hey guys I just bought a 2k Silverado ECSB and the only things wrong with it is that there is a whistle coming from the back windows at 45MPH+. Anyone have this problem/solution? And I need a **** for the stock CD player. The one for the volume/ on and off. TIA, boot
Old 01-27-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

weather stripping is probably catching, or their is a whole in it. Could be a 2nd rear window, last one could have been broke out or something. Probably didnt seal it right. thats my guess, had that problem with my winshield when I put a new one in.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard of similiar problems with the EC's. I think it's due to the weather stripping. Also, people have complained about a loud "wooping" sound, kinda like a helicopter, when at highway speeds with the windows are open. There may be a TSB about it. Check over at the 99+ truck forums at www.chevytalk.org. They'll help you out for sure.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

the truck u bought might have been in a wreck. my trucks had a bad whistle too ever since it got hit
Old 01-27-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

No the truck is clean as far as I can tell (three different sources). Do the latches ware out? Mine don't really lock, they just kinda fold in but don't snap in or anything. I mean they seem to stay in place just curious is all. I have not however seen any leaking back there from recent rain so I think it's just a small whistle.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:25 AM
Launching!

Document ID# 745328
2000 Chevrolet/Geo Chevy C Silverado - 2WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wind Noise from Body Side Quarter Window (Replace Body Side Quarter Window Assm) #99-08-48-001A - (08/24/2000)
Wind Noise from Body Side Quarter Window (Replace Body Side Quarter Window Assembly)
1999-2000 Chevrolet and GMC C/K Extended Cab Pickup Models (Silverado and Sierra)

Built Prior to February 1, 2000

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2000 model year, remove service procedures, and change the part numbers. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-08-48-001 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment on wind noise coming from either of the body side quarter windows while driving with the quarter windows closed. The wind noise may be more noticeable at speeds over 56 km/h (35 mph).

Cause
An insufficient seal of the window frame to the body or an improper window latch length may cause this condition.

Correction

A new body side quarter window kit is available to correct this condition. This window kit includes the window frame and glass, three frame centering screws that reinforce the sealing of the window frame to the body, and an instruction sheet. The window frame also features a reinforcement latch tab to improve latch efforts and function.

Replace the applicable body side quarter window on affected vehicles. Use the appropriate part number listed below.

Refer to the applicable Service Manual for quarter window removal and additional installation procedures. Also refer to the instruction sheet provided with the window kit for installation information.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Window Kit, Body Side - LH

(except RPO AJ1)

Window Kit, Body Side

RH (except RPO AJ1)

Window Kit, Body Side

LH (w/RPO AJ1)

Window Kit, Body Side

RH (w/RPO AJ1)

Parts are expected to be available from GMSPO on 9-18-00.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

C0546
*Hinge, Quarter Glass Swing Out - Replace (Right)

(3 and 4 Door Models)
0.5 hr

C0547
*Hinge, Quarter Glass Swing Out - Replace (Left)

(3 Door Models)
0.8 hr

C0547
*Hinge, Quarter Glass Swing Out - Replace (Left)

(4 Door Models)
0.5 hr

Policy: S Add 0.3 hr if the vehicle is delivered to and from the repair location.

*NOTE: Also referred to as frame.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 745328
2000 Chevrolet/Geo Chevy C Silverado - 2WD
Old 01-28-2004, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

is the noise from a bug shield? if so can i take my duramax truck in for service and they will fix it under warranty? also the yukon does it just to a much lessor extent. the duramax is so loud i have to turn up the radio at highway speeds.