Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

CAI vs Stock w/ drop in K&N

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:26 PM
traveling mod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put your stock box back in with the tube from the K&N..

I rock the stock box,volant ram air tube and silicone couplers on the silvy...
Old 09-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I run is the airraid tube with the stock box, along with a Aem filter. The stock airbox will supply enough air, and the only restrictive part is the tube due to its silencing baffles. You can always open up the stock box more if you'd like. Like it was said earlier, you wont really notice a difference in performance between any of the intakes though, especially in our trucks.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:54 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you decide to switch to the drop in, I'd suggest going with one of the dry flow filter options available...they filter better than the oiled filters and best of all don't need to be oiled. Not sure, but I believe that some claim to flow better also. I'm rockin an Amsoil dry filter with my Volant and I've been very happy with it. I thought that I felt a performance increase when I originally installed it, but that may be because the Volant filter was filthy or it may have been the placebo effect.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I will say this about CAI.... A few weeks ago i helped a buddy tune his truck with a wideband... Everything was dialed in nicely... At the time he had a volant CAI.... He then switched to a 07+ AEM CAI the tube has a nice gradual curve and is HUGE compared to the volant, also the filter is alot bigger... At the track is was running lean by 7% across the board, and the only thing that changed was the CAI... These were within weeks of each other and roughly the same temps... So 7% difference, i am not sure the exact airflow differences, but since he was lean that means he was getting more air in... More air = POWER...

Just my thoughts.... I would not have believed it but i was there and saw the logs...
Old 09-15-2010, 05:08 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I will say this about CAI.... A few weeks ago i helped a buddy tune his truck with a wideband... Everything was dialed in nicely... At the time he had a volant CAI.... He then switched to a 07+ AEM CAI the tube has a nice gradual curve and is HUGE compared to the volant, also the filter is alot bigger... At the track is was running lean by 7% across the board, and the only thing that changed was the CAI... These were within weeks of each other and roughly the same temps... So 7% difference, i am not sure the exact airflow differences, but since he was lean that means he was getting more air in... More air = POWER...

Just my thoughts.... I would not have believed it but i was there and saw the logs...
That's good info...I have thought about a newer CAI that's intended for a truck with efans, which will have a more gradual curve...curious as to how much the curve actually helped as opposed to the tube just being larger...
Old 09-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

that is why i choose the CAI i have, it is a AEM for 05-07 classics... Fluid dynamics 101, air/fluid/etc will flow faster in a more gradual curve than an abrupt right angle...

Here is my AEM

here is a 07+ NNBS on a NBS

Old 09-15-2010, 05:20 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

I'm going to keep that in mind for the future...I wonder if the air raid tube will hook up to my Volant box?

*EDIT* I bet it would....

Last edited by budhayes3; 09-15-2010 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something else Corey forgot to mention is when he was helping me tune(well he tuned it actually ) with my volant would take half a mile to get the IATs to drop down close to ambient from the 115-120 it would get to sitting at a light. With an open element(such as K&N or AEM) your IATs are going to drop faster which will keep the computer from pulling that extra degree of timing. May not conern many but its enough for me to plan on replacing my volant once I get some other things taken care of.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:40 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Something else Corey forgot to mention is when he was helping me tune(well he tuned it actually ) with my volant would take half a mile to get the IATs to drop down close to ambient from the 115-120 it would get to sitting at a light. With an open element(such as K&N or AEM) your IATs are going to drop faster which will keep the computer from pulling that extra degree of timing. May not conern many but its enough for me to plan on replacing my volant once I get some other things taken care of.
You've got my attention...the Volant box really is a big heat sink I suppose. It's a thinner, different style of plastic than the factory box also...I'll bet that the factory box doesn't retain heat the way the Volant box does. That kinda pisses me off...the whole idea of the Volant is to seal off the engine bay heat, not retain it on the MAF.

I think I'm definitely going to consider relocating my IAT sensor (can't afford a new CAI or a used stock air box for that matter lol)

Corey, do you have a PN on that Air Raid intake tube?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:17 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Suddog
How I miss Alaska. I was stationed up there for three years. Wish I could go back. Miss the fishing, snow boarding, sleding down Arctic Valley road on Fort Rich.
It's fall here now. All of the leaves are yellow & falling, the track is closed.

Waiting for the snow now. Bring on the winter activities!!

Quick Reply: CAI vs Stock w/ drop in K&N