Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

CAI vs Stock w/ drop in K&N

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deuce426, u said "All I run is the airraid tube with the stock box, along with a Aem filter. The stock airbox will supply enough air, and the only restrictive part is the tube due to its silencing baffles. You can always open up the stock box more if you'd like. Like it was said earlier, you wont really notice a difference in performance between any of the intakes though, especially in our trucks."

Do u think cars are that dramatic of a difference, then?

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I will say this about CAI.... A few weeks ago i helped a buddy tune his truck with a wideband... Everything was dialed in nicely... At the time he had a volant CAI.... He then switched to a 07+ AEM CAI the tube has a nice gradual curve and is HUGE compared to the volant, also the filter is alot bigger... At the track is was running lean by 7% across the board, and the only thing that changed was the CAI... These were within weeks of each other and roughly the same temps... So 7% difference, i am not sure the exact airflow differences, but since he was lean that means he was getting more air in... More air = POWER...

Just my thoughts.... I would not have believed it but i was there and saw the logs...
Originally Posted by budhayes3
...I have thought about a newer CAI that's intended for a truck with efans, which will have a more gradual curve...curious as to how much the curve actually helped as opposed to the tube just being larger...
I'll say the gradual curve helped to a greater extent than the physical tube size. Altho that prolly did too.
I actually was gonna do this long before I saw this (get a CAI for an e-fan truck), but the Radix doesn't make it necessary. So... I guess the Radix saved me some money.

that is why i choose the CAI i have, it is a AEM for 05-07 classics... Fluid dynamics 101, air/fluid/etc will flow faster in a more gradual curve than an abrupt right angle...

Here is my AEM

here is a 07+ NNBS on a NBS

Corey, whatdaya mean, here's my AEM? That's an AIRAID. It even says so.
And some more pics of an AIRAID. lol

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Something else Corey forgot to mention is when he was helping me tune(well he tuned it actually ) with my volant would take half a mile to get the IATs to drop down close to ambient from the 115-120 it would get to sitting at a light. With an open element(such as K&N or AEM) your IATs are going to drop faster which will keep the computer from pulling that extra degree of timing. May not conern many but its enough for me to plan on replacing my volant once I get some other things taken care of.
WOW! This is eye-opening. I'm starting to wonder if my tuner tuned for my CAI. So what happens to timing when ram air takes effect? Would it pull timing?
Old 09-16-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

suddog what branch are/where u in?
Old 09-16-2010, 05:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by budhayes3
According to that, the K&N drop in produced 323 hp, while the FIPK was good for 326...3 hp...you'll never even feel that in a truck. Drill a few holes in the bottom of the stock air box and you'll probably get that 1 to 3 hp back too...
I did this when I went for the quick fix, and before I had my AEM/Brute Force
Old 09-16-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
It's fall here now. All of the leaves are yellow & falling, the track is closed.

Waiting for the snow now. Bring on the winter activities!!
Dont rub it in...

But I live on a tropical island where it is warm/hot all the time. Two seasons...raining and not raining soo much. LOL

Originally Posted by 06Sierra2
suddog what branch are/where u in?
Air Force still. I have 4.5 years left until I can retire...then on to my second career (whatever that is)
Old 09-16-2010, 07:48 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ramair will make it cool off faster. Ill have to look at my tune later on and see at what IAT is starts pulling timing. At one column it was like half a degree, then the next was a degree then I think 2 degrees but Ill have to look it was a few weeks ago that I was messing with that. The biggest thing I think is the box acts like a heat sink and retains the heat and the MAF is directly bolted to the box to conduct that heat to the IAT sensor too. Here soon its not going to matter since Ill be exceeding the MAF and doing away with it but for how much the volant costs its not worth it IMO.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:14 AM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

opps sorry, i meant Airraid not AEM... Long day yesterday...
Old 09-16-2010, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

on my old crew cab I was running originally with an airaid cai, it was open to the engine heat. Wheatley did a tune for me and the intake temps were pretty high and this was with the plastic airaid tube. I swapped back to the stock intake box with a true-flow iar filter and an airaid intake tube and the temps went down considerably. I also modded the stock box slightly for a little more airflow.

I didn't notice any loss in power by going to the stock box or any gains really, but the truck actually felt like it ran smoother/better. Not saying power-wise necessarily, it just felt better in some way.

All I ever run now is the stock box(modded) drop-in filter and an airaid tube. for the performance gain difference versus the price its good enough for me.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

I will say this about CAI.... A few weeks ago i helped a buddy tune his truck with a wideband... Everything was dialed in nicely... At the time he had a volant CAI.... He then switched to a 07+ AEM CAI the tube has a nice gradual curve and is HUGE compared to the volant, also the filter is alot bigger... At the track is was running lean by 7% across the board, and the only thing that changed was the CAI... These were within weeks of each other and roughly the same temps... So 7% difference, i am not sure the exact airflow differences, but since he was lean that means he was getting more air in... More air = POWER...

Just my thoughts.... I would not have believed it but i was there and saw the logs...
DA and temp could also have this big of a difference when it comes to the tuen being off on a day to day basis. The only way to verify this effect is by doing back to back comparisons on days with the same D/A, humidity, temp and so on...

Just like how different D/A's yeild different track results..

From my personal tunning experience, the AEM colled down much quicker than the volant, and the volant stayed 3-4* above ambient where the AEM was 1* above ambient. the KNN showed similar results to the volant but it took longer to cool down.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by chpspecial
DA and temp could also have this big of a difference when it comes to the tuen being off on a day to day basis. The only way to verify this effect is by doing back to back comparisons on days with the same D/A, humidity, temp and so on...

Just like how different D/A's yeild different track results..

From my personal tunning experience, the AEM colled down much quicker than the volant, and the volant stayed 3-4* above ambient where the AEM was 1* above ambient. the KNN showed similar results to the volant but it took longer to cool down.

Like i said the days were similar in temp and it was summer so the humidity was nothing, cause it was during our dry season... so i bet the DA was close....
Old 09-16-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So a lot of people are running the stock box (modded a little), drop in filter, and an Airraid tube. I like the look of the stock box. The less people know whatcha got, the better.

Quick Reply: CAI vs Stock w/ drop in K&N