Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Caltracs, Eaton, 4.10s, & Girdle - Long Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caltracs, Eaton, 4.10s, & Girdle - Long Review

Well got it all done, and at first I was dissappointed by the lack of power the 4.10s have given me, until I reprogrammed my truck for the gear change. It didn't know how or when to shift after getting the gear swap. The gear ratio setting on the Predator does not work(not a big surprize to some) so I just changed my settings to a smaller tire to work out the settup, and then I lowered the shift mph for normal driving to 4mph less for each gear. I found a website that had a gear ratio, and rpm calculator. I used to run 2500rpms on the freeway at 80mph stock, and the calculator showed me that with 4.10s from 3.73s would run 2750rpms at 80 on the freeway. My original tires were 30" tall, and so were my 275/45/20s. The new setting was put at 245/35/20. This set the speedometer right on. I had my friend take his Tahoe out and pace me for 60mph and 80mph, and there was maybe 1mph difference between trucks.

Well, the Caltracs completely got rid of the wheel hop(about 5% harsher ride than before), the tires can still spin with the eaton and caltracs but now the vehicle lunges forward even when peeling out, and my tail don't kick out one direction or the other. With the ratios of the 4l60e, this runs so much better all around with the 4.10s and stock tire height, and at freeway cruisin speeds it don't feel any different. I have put 100 miles on since yesterday, and the gas mileage is just right on where it used to be. Our motors are smooth, so the 2750rpms feel almost exactly the same as the 2500. I have heard people complain that the tranny doesn't like to down shift as well with the gear swap, but since I changed the normal driving and performance mph shift points to 4mph lower in all gears, the tranny is shifting just like it's supposed to. My truck runs right on to my shift points now, instead of what felt like a creep to them from before. I got my shifts at 5800rpm 1 to 2, then 5700rpm 2 to 3, and may change them higher. I will test it out at the track next week. It feels like about a .3 to .4 second improvement on the 1/4 mile, just really plants you now, and kicks you into the seat.

Side note about the caltracs, they seem to help the vehicle stay more planted around corners, and now the vehicle does not lean as much as before when flying around a corner. A bonus side effect. With this whole setup, I now can floor it mid corner, and it just pushes you through without kicking out the tail, which hampers me being a hooligan, but man the performance gain is a plus!
Old 08-23-2003, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Caltracs, Eaton, 4.10s, & Girdle - Long Review

hgey what kind of headers you got and where did you get this brake up grade from and the name of it and the track bar how much were to get it from
Old 08-23-2003, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to here it worked out. Now time for a yank 3000. My truck never sees under 4000 at the track, after launching.

Any word on when Predator is supposed to update software to correct there gear/speedo problems
Johan sent me a few sizes to program in in the meantime but seems like duct tape to me.

I have discovered my times are alittle slower after 660 from before. I think my 5.3 is getting tired. It's funny at the track I launch so good than they catch up with me and blow me away.

hgey what kind of headers you got and where did you get this brake up grade from and the name of it and the track bar how much were to get it from
Dude, are you Drunk?

Old 08-24-2003, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know, he did seem drunk, and I got all that info on my Cardomain site, with a link! I am going to go with the Vigilante 2600 converter, since I am still going to supercharge. Even that might be too high, considering how much I can spin the tires, and the Radix is just going to overexagerate that wheelspin also. The whole reason to get everything done with the rear end! I also like the construction of the Vigilant converter more, and the fact that they give you a redo one time with the converter depending on your setup!
Old 08-24-2003, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

New note on the Caltracs. I am going to keep these but, I am taking the bars off until the times I go to the track..

I found a new condition of the Caltracs:
Under bumpy roads and corners it makes the truck bounce all over the place in an unsafe manner. Now if the road is flat, it helps keep flat the suspension, and it feels awesome, but tonight I drove to my brothers appartment, and he has tons of road work going on, all the way to his place. I had the tail kick out so hard on me about 6 times just on the way there. I then loosened the the bar as loose as it would go, and figured I would just tighten them at the track, but then it just causes the brackets to slap the leafs and make a noise that I just can't get used to. I am not too bothered by it. When first having them put the brackets on, I drove about 20 miles without the caltrac bars on there and it is still about 5 times better than stock, compared to about 7 times better with the bars. Considering how crappy the roads are here in Vegas, I don't think I will be ready to settle for a lose of control on bumpy corners, it just takes too much appeal away from the truck.

One last thing, with the solid bushing in the front of the leaf spring, has no effect on ride quality or control.

Well this is something to consider for you guys thinking about the Caltracs.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:12 AM
blownerator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good info and review on the Cal Tracs!

Hey what Supercharger are you planning to run?
Old 08-24-2003, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Radix, or Vortech if they get that intercooler done they are working on!
Old 08-24-2003, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

RADIX man .. it's awsome!

I can tell already I am going to have traction problems with mine, especially when it gets blown. I may have to look into a set of Cal-Trac's.

Those are nice wheels BTW.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:01 PM
Truck addict

hey hodgee, you had 3.73's right. how bout the g80. did you have that as well. if so, i would like to buy them from you if you still have'em and willing to part ways. let me know.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

goshawk23: Sorry man on the 3.73s and G80, I am already giving them away for shipping costs, I posted last week if anyone wanted them.

Quick Reply: Caltracs, Eaton, 4.10s, & Girdle - Long Review