Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

cam change how big with stock heads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam change how big with stock heads?

hey all I was wondering about an easy cam change. I have an 01 5.3 stock. I have not run this yet as it is for a conversion. I had read you can just remove the rockers and pushrods and turn the engine over a couple time and just pull the cam out and replace. How large can I go without changing the springs and pushrods? Once back together do you just torque down the rockers no adjustment? what torque value for these bolts?
I dont know if I can spare the money at this time but the engine is out so now would be the easiest.
Thanks
Dave
Old 04-29-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Anytime you make a cam change from stock, you need to swap the springs at least. Our stock springs are not good for anything over 525 lift. I would use at least 2002 LS6 springs if your cam is under say 550 lift and go to Comp 918's over that. Yes the cam will slide out easiley, but what you have to do it once you remove the rockers, pushrods, and front of the engine, you rotate the cam while it is still in place to lock the lifters into the holders. It's a good idea to use a pen magnet to pull them all the way up. It's also a good idea to let the truck sit over night to let all the oil drain to the pan. Another way to keep the lifters in place is the lifter holding tool. Do a search on it. As for the torque, I think it's 22ftlbs, but I'll have to check. Get a good 8mm 6 sided 3/8 drive socket for removing those rocker bolts. I have broken MANY of them. Since the engine is out, are you pulling the heads?
Old 04-29-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks greg. I just purchased this with 18000 miles and wasnt planning on doing anything. The cam change is possible just because I dont want stock. My plans got greatly changed I just finished a "rodstoration" and after breakin on the motor (gen 1 327 with tpi) the bottom end bearings got trashed so out that one came and this direction got me overdrive and all the new stuff (roller cam better heads ...) so my budget is shot just trying to keep it to a minimum right now. I am really ready to drive this thing. It should have been done. Things change.
again thanks
Dave