Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam decision: The final three..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the Comp cam, just because its what they specialize in.

If its lift your worried about, why not go with the XR265HR with teh same 212/218 @ .050 but with .566/.568 lift on a 114. But Id go with the 918 springs with that one.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have essentially the same truck as Tan327 but with 4WD and I am looking to get my ducks in a row as far as a cam swap goes. I am looking to do this as one of my next mods (probably after dyno tune and electric fans; Stainless Works Long-tubes waiting to be installed as we speak). I would like to know why people are suggesting the TR "Old Man Cam" over the others from Vinci and Comp? The Vinci and Comp cams sugggested (as well as the higher lift versions[Vinci 062 and Comp High Lift]) are nearly identical (specification wise) where as the TR "Old Man Cam", on "paper" looks to be like a larger cam but claims to have "stock range power band and stock sounding idle". The power bands of the listed cams are as follows:

Vinci 044 = 1700 - 6000 RPM (114 LSA)
Vinci 062 = 1900 - 6000 RPM (112 LSA)
Comp 212/218 Low-Lift = 1200 - 6000 RPM (114 LSA)
Comp 212/218 High-Lift = 1400 - 6700 RPM (115 LSA)
TR "Old Man Cam" = stock (idle - 6000 w/tune) (115 LSA)

A lot of people say that "since you have a heavy 4WD" my cam suggestions are far different than a lighter 2WD. Since I don't have actual weights to compare I will used specs from Chevrolet.com comparing a RC/SB 2WD vs RC/SB 4WD and its only about a 300 lb difference. Not a whole lot if you ask me but definately a difference. So is the larger duration cam with higher LSA (i.e. "Old Man Cam") the "hot ticket" for a truck that needs more low end torque and better higher RPM power? I realize there is much more that determines power bands and cam shaft characteristics but I guess my main question is why do we have such different power bands with such similar advertised camshaft specifications? Is there a "perfect" cam for my truck or do I have to make a sacrafice?

Last edited by Cakes; 03-05-2006 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cakes
Is there a "perfect" cam for my truck or do I have to make a sacrafice?
Comp will custom grind you a cam specifically for your truck, they have the cam help line to get you what you need. Im not sure but I think its like $25 more to have a "custom" cam ground versus an off the shelf cam.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

I have essentially the same truck as Tan327 but with 4WD and I am looking to get my ducks in a row as far as a cam swap goes. I am looking to do this as one of my next mods (probably after dyno tune and electric fans; Stainless Works Long-tubes waiting to be installed as we speak). I would like to know why people are suggesting the TR "Old Man Cam" over the others from Vinci and Comp? The Vinci and Comp cams sugggested (as well as the higher lift versions[Vinci 062 and Comp High Lift]) are nearly identical (specification wise) where as the TR "Old Man Cam", on "paper" looks to be like a larger cam but claims to have "stock range power band and stock sounding idle". The power bands of the listed cams are as follows:

Vinci 044 = 1700 - 6000 RPM (112 LSA)
Vinci 062 = 1900 - 6000 RPM (112 LSA)
Comp 212/218 Low-Lift = 1200 - 6000 RPM (114 LSA)
Comp 212/218 High-Lift = 1400 - 6700 RPM (115 LSA)
TR "Old Man Cam" = stock (idle - 6000 w/tune) (115 LSA)

A lot of people say that "since you have a heavy 4WD" my cam suggestions are far different than a lighter 2WD. Since I don't have actual weights to compare I will used specs from Chevrolet.com comparing a RC/SB 2WD vs RC/SB 4WD and its only about a 300 lb difference. Not a whole lot if you ask me but definately a difference. So is the larger duration cam with higher LSA (i.e. "Old Man Cam") the "hot ticket" for a truck that needs more low end torque and better higher RPM power? I realize there is much more that determines power bands and cam shaft characteristics but I guess my main question is why do we have such different power bands with such similar advertised camshaft specifications? Is there a "perfect" cam for my truck or do I have to make a sacrafice?
Cam companies are run by people and they have different views and opinions just like everyone else. The reason for the big difference in rpm ranges is that very reason. All those cam will pull strong from an idle in 5.3ish engine. One's opinion on power band is relative.
Going on specs between those 3 only I'd pick the old man cam.

Sweets10v8- I'm going to say this just because I get anoyed by people thinking that Comp hung the moon. I'm not directing this soley torwards you but it is just something I get tired of hearing. There are many many cam companies out there that "specialize" in cams. That is what they do. Comp has been sucessful and is a great cam company, but to say to go with comp just because it is comp is narrow minded. I have talked to Comps cam help line many times and often called multiple times in sucession to get a different person to see what they say and I always got a different recommendation and a few times extremely different recommendations. I feel that the people on this, primarily LSx truck, forum can help you more acurately than someone on a cam help line that just got off the phone with someone on their jr dragster 5hp briggs custom grind or a FE ford big block flat tappet.
Opinions are like ********, everyone's got one. And that was mine.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

mjhoward, what would you pick for my truck if you WEREN'T restricted to the 3 cams listed above knowing that my truck is a daily driver. More than likely will not go to the track. Will use my truck as a truck from time to time and use my 4WD in the winter months here in New England. I want know the power is there when I need it and when I want to have some fun. Choose me a cam and if you will, please tell me your support for that choice. I'm no expert nor do I claim to be but its getting higher and higher on my list everyday and there are just so many choices....
Old 03-05-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

mjhoward, what would you pick for my truck if you WEREN'T restricted to the 3 cams listed above knowing that my truck is a daily driver. More than likely will not go to the track. Will use my truck as a truck from time to time and use my 4WD in the winter months here in New England. I want know the power is there when I need it and when I want to have some fun. Choose me a cam and if you will, please tell me your support for that choice. I'm no expert nor do I claim to be but its getting higher and higher on my list everyday and there are just so many choices....
All the above choices would idle like stock or close to it. I'd stay with no less than 114 lsa. I still would say the old man cam for you as well simply because of it is about the biggest you could get away with with minimal or no tuning. The comp choice would be good too. I'd personally like to stay around .550 ish lift just for longevity of valve spring tension on an engine you want to last. The .600 lift may not hurt the behive springs much. I haven't known of anyone personally with that much lift put a lot of miles on a LSx engine so i'm just playing a conservative card. I would not go with more intake duration than any of those. The more exhaust duration helps an engine breath that has stock manifolds and cats. I had a 216/224 114lsa on a 4.8 that had a noticable idle and required custom tuning to idle correctly. It wouldn't be as dramatic in a 5.3 though. I hope this gives you some idea. There are many more people on here that have had more experience with LSx cams than me.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Veteran

with any of the above cams I would say the powerband is gonna be more like 2000-6100

i dont see the old man cam making power off idle since anything bigger than stock isnt really gonna have the idle low end if that makes sense

mine lost a little untill 2000.. but i dont really feel any kick untill it gets around 2600rpms and thats with a 210/218.. my truck weighs 5200 if that matters also. My friends 4.8 shortbed 4x4 weighs 4800 so 300-400 pounds doesnt seem like much but its 3-4tenths difference right their
Old 03-11-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is the Old Man cam going to put down at least 40 HP? If not I'm going with the 01 Z06 cam because I seen the chart where it dynoed at 30 HP. I'll be saving around $400 too..
Old 05-03-2006, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

can somone point me to the 044 cam? i cant find it on their site?
Old 05-03-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Junkie

I have talked to teh guys at Thunder more than once...it involved the old man cam and the high lift 212/218.there are two guys that had each of these cams put in at almost the same time and they both work there.The guy with the old man cam had a stock power band simple as that as far as they tell me.The other guy ran his up to 6000 only because he never tuned it.The guy with the old man cam had a few bolt ons and the other guy had a cai and the cam.The guy with old man lost in races evrytime from what the two claim and the old man didn't pull nearly as hard.
This is all what i was told when asking about the two cams at the shop and both owners where there so i gotta believe what they say...but if there story is correct and both guys say it is then the old man isn't the way to go vs the high lift 212/218
But like i said its what they told me not what i know from having done them myself...

Quick Reply: Cam decision: The final three..