Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam degree

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam degree

Hi guys I need a little assistants. I finished installing my cam motion cam and timing set and now it's time to degree the cam. I have the comp cams ls specific degree kit (4942). The problem where I'm getting stuck is comps crank socket, it is suppose to slide over the oil pump drive and turn the crank with that. But I see no way how the socket goes over oil pump drive. It's tight is there a certain way it goes on? It looks like it smaller them the drive gear?? Any help would be appreciated trying to get degreed and button back up
Old 02-17-2016, 01:15 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 391 Likes on 261 Posts

Is it the 4793 socket? I think that's for a SBC, not an LS.

You could install a short m16 bolt into the crank and use a wrench to turn the crank.

And good job on actually degreeing in a cam as opposed to slapping it in dot to dot and hoping for the best!
Old 02-17-2016, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Atomic
Is it the 4793 socket? I think that's for a SBC, not an LS.

You could install a short m16 bolt into the crank and use a wrench to turn the crank.

And good job on actually degreeing in a cam as opposed to slapping it in dot to dot and hoping for the best!
It's the comp cam kit 4942. It says for gen3/4 ls engine on the box of it. It came complete with crank socket. It looks just like the one everyone post up. But it does not fit over oil pump drive.. I bought this kit for the ls specific socket. I'm wondering if I should call them. I might resort to normal bolt to hold wheel. But I bought the kit for a reason

And thank you I installed my last cam dot to dot. Wanted to degree this one!
Old 02-17-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Does anyone have any tips on degreeing an LS cam with the heads installed?
Old 02-17-2016, 02:58 PM
I have a gauge for that

Yea, but I looked at the kit contents and it had 4793 listed in there which is not an LS part.

Degree cam with heads installed is basically the same, just have to use a piston stop to find TDC.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:08 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

A piston stop... with the heads on? Man I need to do some digging. I know its a noob question.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:10 PM
I have a gauge for that

They make ones that thread into the spark plug port.

Basically install the stop, start rotating the engine until the piston hits it, record degree measurement. Rotate crank the other way and record degree when it hits. Average the two degrees and that's TDC.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Atomic
Yea, but I looked at the kit contents and it had 4793 listed in there which is not an LS part.

Degree cam with heads installed is basically the same, just have to use a piston stop to find TDC.
Really!! Thank u for the catch ima double check that right now!!! Why did I go through the trouble of buying a lsx gen 3 specific kit if it dosent even have the right crank socket! I don't get how they can advertise that? If so if that is the problem what could I do could I call summit and have correct part or would I have to return the kit? I would like to get the right socket somehow
Old 02-17-2016, 03:52 PM
I have a gauge for that

I mean I may be wrong but check the part number on the socket and see what it says. I looked up the kit on jegs and it had the SBC one listed for the LS kit.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Yea I just doubled checked jegs and saw that too. When I serched that part number and looked at picture it does not look like the socket I have. The one I have looks like that then gets wider with groves look just like it suppo see to go over drive. Mine looks like this COMP Cams 4914, Comp Cams Cam Degree Kits and Accessories | COMP Cams

Quick Reply: Cam degree