Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam install=tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam install=tuning?

Just wondering.

can anyone lay down some things you had to adjust after your cam install? What sorta tables? What'd you have problems with? I notice like marc had trouble with knock retard and such.

Oh yeah, this sorta goes to guys with a dyno tune/ls1 edit/hp tuners exc....

To lazy to search and I sorta wanted to talk about some of your issues perhaps.

anyways, thanks guys

Kyle
Old 08-31-2004, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I've got that stupid KR still going on. My valvetrain noise is a rather normal sewing machine noise with a little clatter. I really believe the KR is coming from that. (I don't have that loud-ish tapping anymore)

I talked to a few VHP cam owners, and none of them had any valvetrain noise so that's one reason I'm going to try one of their cams. I'll have it in within a week or two.

I wonder if with my drive by wire TB I can get away with a worse tune (at idle), than the regular style TB motors. In HPT, there appear to be about three different "tools" that come into play with TB blade when coming to an idle. Actual idle speed and idle airflow, then there is the throttle cracker, then the throttle follower. I can feel the transition between the cracker and follower to idle/IAC motor sometimes. It really seems as though the IAC motor takes up a lot of slack from my lack of idle tuning. Changes to the related tables don't make a drastic change in driveability. Some are almost impossible to notice.

Basically, all I have done right now is a simple bump in idle speed. I still need to do a lot of testing with these other tables to see what they do. I'm going to try to limit myself to a single tune/tweak a week to give changes time to settle in.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by marc_w
Yeah, I've got that stupid KR still going on. My valvetrain noise is a rather normal sewing machine noise with a little clatter. I really believe the KR is coming from that. (I don't have that loud-ish tapping anymore)

I talked to a few VHP cam owners, and none of them had any valvetrain noise so that's one reason I'm going to try one of their cams. I'll have it in within a week or two.

I wonder if with my drive by wire TB I can get away with a worse tune (at idle), than the regular style TB motors. In HPT, there appear to be about three different "tools" that come into play with TB blade when coming to an idle. Actual idle speed and idle airflow, then there is the throttle cracker, then the throttle follower. I can feel the transition between the cracker and follower to idle/IAC motor sometimes. It really seems as though the IAC motor takes up a lot of slack from my lack of idle tuning. Changes to the related tables don't make a drastic change in driveability. Some are almost impossible to notice.

Basically, all I have done right now is a simple bump in idle speed. I still need to do a lot of testing with these other tables to see what they do. I'm going to try to limit myself to a single tune/tweak a week to give changes time to settle in.
It'll be interesting to see how the *** kicker cam compares to the tr220.
What about your fuel trims, how drastic of changes did you experience after the cam swap? Seems as if the cam is holding the valves open longer and bringing in more air, the computer will have to adjust the amount of fuel. Have you played around with your lower rpm VE? Have you messed with your IFR table any? Also, how about w.o.t. 02 sensors, what were the before and after differences?
alot of questions, sry

I'm wondering about the whole idle issues also. I'm gonna go custom or with an fms cam more than likely. I hear his lobe ramps are very steap so that should improve idle quality. I wanna go custom though. With a good bit of vehicle description, you can get a custom cam made for 450. Not to bad compared to alot of the off the shelf cams that run you sometimes 400. What about Vinci, what sorta lobes do they use?