Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam Install 4.8L Coming Soon!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Install 4.8L Coming Soon!

Hello guys/gals, I am about to start my cam install (205/212) and I read about people experiencing problems with the JPR lifter tool getting stuck in the block. Is there anyone out there that can support or deny this claim?

I read on LS1 tech, someone suggested a trip to the local hardware store and buying 5/16" x 24" length metal rods (Aluminum I presume? ) Has anyone tried these rods? I am not sure metal would have to be used. I am sure that I dont want to try the lock them up in the plastic cup trick. That puts too much risk to the lifter dropping. Pen magnets are rather hard to find, not to mention rather expensive buying 16 of them.

I have the ls6 springs, but looking to get the spring compressor from SDPC that also has the sparkplug adapter. Do you have any thoughts about that tool combo set?

I am also looking for a place close to Sacramento CA. that tunes PCM's

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Cam Install 4.8L Coming Soon!-truck-1.jpg  

Last edited by Suddog; 01-14-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Suddog
Hello guys/gals, I am about to start my cam install (205/212) and I read about people experiencing problems with the JPR lifter tool getting stuck in the block. Is there anyone out there that can support or deny this claim?

I read on LS1 tech, someone suggested a trip to the local hardware store and buying 5/16" x 24" length metal rods (Aluminum I presume? ) Has anyone tried these rods? I am not sure metal would have to be used. I am sure that I dont want to try the lock them up in the plastic cup trick. That puts too much risk to the lifter dropping. Pen magnets are rather hard to find, not to mention rather expensive buying 16 of them.

I have the ls6 springs, but looking to get the spring compressor from SDPC that also has the sparkplug adapter. Do you have any thoughts about that tool combo set?

I am also looking for a place close to Sacramento CA. that tunes PCM's

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
Well, I cannot vouch for or against the lifter tool, however I can vouch for doing 3 cam installs (2 on trucks, 1 on an f-bod) with wooden dowel rods. The last install, the owner of the f-body bought metal rods and ended up buying wooden ones (like i advised him in the first place). Car had near 90K on the clock, so he DID have a little to be worried about, and all went well. I give my recommendation out on that, however do what makes you feel safe...

I always get mine at walmart, like 50 cents a piece.

As for the spring compressor, I went out and got the crane cams dual spring compressor and have loved it since. used one of those air spark plug deals on one of the truck installs and with the crane compressor, everything was cake (springs out and installed within 15 minutes). Other two times, used the top-dead-center method.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is the the going to be run N/A??? The only reason I ask is that is a very very small cam and I dont think you will see any real increase in power N/A with it. just a thought.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 AM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Synergy Motorsports is in Fremont, about an hour away from Travis AFB more or less. Well worth the trip, tell Rick I sent ya
Old 01-15-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have done about 25 cam installs. about 20 with wooden dowell pins form walmart. sanded them a little just to knock off any little shivings and slide them in. worked perfect. i also had the JPR tool given to me during one of my installs, customer told me i could keep it. so ive used them ever since and never had any problems with them.
i would still be using wooden dowells if someone hadnt give me the jpr tool.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the advice on the wooden dowels. Much cheaper than $90. Sorry JPR I know you are a sponsor.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

look thats 90 bucks you can spend on performace parts to help the sponsors.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

What size dowl is it?
Old 01-15-2007, 12:02 PM
On The Tree

5/16 wooden dowel,works best
Old 01-15-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont forget to sand it just to knock the little splinters off.

Quick Reply: Cam Install 4.8L Coming Soon!