Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam Install 4.8L Coming Soon!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 03:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can use the BDC or TDC method without air OR you can use air which means you must use either BDC or TDC. Of course, TDC is easier to find. People have a lot of different complicated methods of finding TDC, but I like to go to a Chinese retaurant to eat and bring home the wooden chop sticks. Once the plugs are out you stick the chop stick into the hole and slowly rotate the crank until the piston reaches TDC. You can't get much simplier than that. Screw in the fitting with the air hose connected to it and add about 40 or 50 lb of air. I wouldn't go much higher than that or you stand the chance of spinning the crank if you aren't exactly at TDC. You don't need a lot of air pressure since only one valve will be worked on at a time. You can use the TDC method WITHOUT air if you like because even if you let the valve drop it will only fall less than one inch and you have more of the valve stem protruding out from the valve guide than and inch so you can always retrieve it. You don't need a large tank on you air compressor to do this job because once you fill the cylinder with compresssed air(which doesn't take very much) you won't be using any more air until you start working on the next cylinder.