Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam Install Questions 02' 5.3l

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6 Silverado
Cam specs are 212in/215/ex -.558in/.563ex on a 115lsa
Plan on replacing the heads as while installing my headers the rear most bolt on the driver bank broke of in the head. Have a spare set of 862 casting heads with low miles that Im gonna throw on. Going to have them milled but am waiting to measure the base circle of the cam compared to stock so I can figure out the pushrod length. Going for 10.1 or so compression. And alot easier to do the springs on a bench instead of fighting them while on the motor-
7.4 rods will work just fine.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SDPC is expensive IMO, and the LS6 springs he's talking about can be found on eBay. Oreilly carries a good complete seal kit that was only 12 bux that had the timing cover and water pump gaskets. The best spring compressor hands down is the crane cams valvespring tool. The Tim's tool is far inferior, but can get the job done. I still wouldn't buy the tim's tool because you can make one for about 5 bux. EDIT:just read that your'e going to swap springs on the bench, the crane tool will make the job insanely fast but the tool from AutoZone will work if it's on the bench.

In my swap I've done the russian roulette deal twice and had no problems. With high mileage I could see the lifters possibly dropping, but mine at 40k stayed up for an hour or so until I pushed them back down to install the rockers.

One thing that is crucial is to use nice impact sockets when messing with the rocker bolts. I almost stripped one and about shat my pants when I realized my socket was cracked. I went to AutoZone and bought one of the GreatNeck thick wall sockets and everything was fine.

Also, a note about the 918's. There have been many of the new ones failing already so I wouldn't even look to using 918's. If they fail, Comp is so generous as to send you a new set of springs lol. BTW, only the yellow LS6 springs will work with your cam. The blue can handle the lift, but apparently the ramp rates of that cam are too aggressive for it.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02burban
Where Would You Get The Ls6 Spring For $50.00...
Good Price..
Lingenfelter.

Here's my valve spring tool, easy to make for free:

Old 05-04-2008, 04:15 PM
Launching!

i got my ls6's from the dealer for $52.25 after tax....

for the valvespring tool, i used the "crowbar" style and borrowed a bolt from the valve covers...only thing you have to do is "curl" the tool more so it's more u-shaped instead of "L" shaped...worked like a charm.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Are you serious? The new updated comp 918's have been breaking already? Comp strongly does not recommend the yellow ls6 springs. Says they can handle the lift but they cant handle the aggressive lobe ramp the XR and XER cams have. Anybody have a similar cam with the yellow springs? Anybody had problems with the yellow LS6 springs? Thanks-
Old 05-04-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

I missed the cam specs, you have the high lift version of the 212 218, I have the low lift (.522 .529). The springs are working fine for me, but I'm not sure if they will work with the high lift version. I'm unsure if they will handle that cam, but then again I don't see comp saying "Don't buy our springs" ..of course they will want to sell some of theirs. Hopefully someone will chime in with the answer
Old 05-04-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd like to say that someone has run the yellow LS6 springs on the XER lobes, but I can't remember who the hell it was

You can't go wrong with patriot golds though
Old 05-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Teching In

So got the cam yesterday and busted out the mics- Stock LM7 cam base circle 1.552" While the Comp cam is 1.497"- A difference of .055" so figure the radius difference on the cams will be 27.5 thousandths- Milling cylinder heads .010 or possibly .015 still have to figure the whole compression ratio to cc's thing. Been told on a 61cc head for every .005" is 1 cc- Anybody know for sure? So say I mill .015" and the fel-pro mls gaskets are stock compressed thickness (i assume they are as I can only find specs for LS1 gaskets and they are stock thickness) That would put me at about a 12.5 thousandths difference- Is that a managable difference or should I have the rocker pads milled as well, maybe like .010"- Any thoughts? Thanks-
Old 05-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

since we are in the discussion of valve springs...kinda...

Is it common for paint to come off the yellow z06 springs? The ones im looking at getting from a friend (he bought them used too) are black (not painted).

/threadjack
Old 05-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe the cam he is looking at is on XE lobes not XER... From my understanding the XE lobe is not as aggressive as the XER, I maybe wrong thou...

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/Ca...obeCatalog.pdf

Quick Reply: Cam Install Questions 02' 5.3l