Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam, Intake, Headers, Coils, Gear Ratio

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam, Intake, Headers, Coils, Gear Ratio

I know there are a million threads on these things I have a few questions of my own I couldn't find in the past couple pages or I didn't read far enough.

To start off im new here and i was sent over from my other forum so i could get more info. I have 175,000 miles on my vortec 5.3 and im looking to get some more power out of it when I do the rebuild. I live in california so i need to keep it smog legal. I will be getting a black bear tuner soon so tune will be covered.

I have been looking at different sizes and I want to gain as much as I can while keeping it smog legal. I saw somewhere with a ls6 cam you can gain up to 40hp on the right tune. Would this cam keep me legal? Or would i have to go with something different. Where are all the California guys at that did this?

Intake manifold and throttle body are something im looking to do when I put the motor back in. The FAST LSX RT intake with a bigger trottle body. Has anyone used this intake which size did you go with for the trottle body? Also is there something better than the lsx for cheaper? someone said they were having problems with it.

Im going to throw a set of shorty headers on, which company have some of the better quality and more performance?

From 99 to 06 chevy used 5 different types of coil packs on these motors is there a way to change the mounts for the coil pack to use a different configuration? Will they plug in without a problem or is the wiring different?

Gear ratio with all they mods on 35 inch tires what size should I go with I have stock 3.73 on my 33 inch tires now and i can feel it lagging. Im stepping it up to 35s this summer and i know it will lag more. I was thinking 4.30 or should i go more like 4.56? I drive freeways and streets about 50 50.

Let me know what you all thinks and tank you in advanced for reading this!
Old 05-06-2014, 04:53 PM
Launching!

I live in Cali as well. I'm gonna do a tsp 220 cam. Should pass smog with the right tune so I'm not worried about that. I am doing long tubes in a couple months. That's when I have to smog my truck for registration so I don't have to worry about the long tubes. If your dead set on shorties I would go with jba shorties. I'm also gonna run a nitrous kit
Old 05-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TV559
I live in Cali as well. I'm gonna do a tsp 220 cam. Should pass smog with the right tune so I'm not worried about that. I am doing long tubes in a couple months. That's when I have to smog my truck for registration so I don't have to worry about the long tubes. If your dead set on shorties I would go with jba shorties. I'm also gonna run a nitrous kit
i thought you couldnt do long tubes since it takes away your cats?
Old 05-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99silvy
i thought you couldnt do long tubes since it takes away your cats?
Your not suppose to but I've always done it and know alot of people who do it. Just have to swap back to stock manifolds when it's time to smog.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:05 PM
Teching In

i see i hate dealing with that changing out stuff ill probably just go with shorties since i need new gaskets anyways and get a little more power. Then go with some cut outs before the cats when i really want it. the real power will come when i do the cam and intake.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:19 PM
Launching!

i see i hate dealing with that changing out stuff ill probably just go with shorties since i need new gaskets anyways and get a little more power. Then go with some cut outs before the cats when i really want it. the real power will come when i do the cam and intake.
Smog is only every 2 years. Long tubes makes a huge difference but I understand the "Headache" it might be to have to swap every 2 yrs.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:40 PM
Teching In

i see what you mean but here in southern California where i live in the la area we have whats called star stations and they can pop up on any street at any time of the day just to check peoples smogs on their car if you fail they impound your car. iv only seen it once but id rather not get the silvy thrown in jail. electric cut outs on the other hand might be what im looking towards haha.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:30 AM
Launching!

i see what you mean but here in southern California where i live in the la area we have whats called star stations and they can pop up on any street at any time of the day just to check peoples smogs on their car if you fail they impound your car. iv only seen it once but id rather not get the silvy thrown in jail. electric cut outs on the other hand might be what im looking towards haha.
Yeah I wouldn't risk it.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TV559
Yeah I wouldn't risk it.
yeah its stupid but with shorties i shouldnt have a problem thats the only reason im going with them. Should free up some power. also going to run an under drive belt system go get a little more.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:02 PM
Teching In

any one have any ideas about the coil packs?

Quick Reply: Cam, Intake, Headers, Coils, Gear Ratio