Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam or LSA Supercharger for my 2008 6.2L

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cam or LSA Supercharger for my 2008 6.2L

I have a 2008 L92 6.2L and I'm trying to decide if I want to do a cam or an LSA supercharger. I've been assuming I would do a cam eventually if a lifter failed (not that they fail that often on the non-AFM engines) but I recently came into an LSA supercharger unit so that got me thinking about using the supercharger instead. I had a previous bad experience with supercharging (on a Mercedes) and I always told myself I would never do it again but the LSA is so cheap as far as superchargers go and so many people seem to have good luck with it. Pinning the crankshaft is probably the "worst" part in my mind. Even though the LSA is cheap as far as superchargers go it is still quite a bit more than just doing a cam but the supercharger would probably be much less labor intensive to install since the heads don't have to come off the engine. Fuel economy is a consideration since I already get 14mpg on premium... I do use this truck as a daily and for family trips so I don't want to ruin it. On one hand the lopey idle is bad *** and on the other the hand the smoothness of the supercharger is nice but I'm not really sure is ideal. My other daily is a cammed M6 SS sedan but this cam wouldn't be on the larger side like that so that would help keep drivability.

The camshaft will definitely keep the VVT, that isn't up for debate. The one I'm considering the most right now (and I haven't researched them much yet) is the Gwatney Performance VVT stage 1 truck cam. It keeps the torque down low and I am NOT interested in an aftermarket torque converter. I do have long tube headers so I'm not sure what that will do for the power since the cam is designed for stock exhaust. They said in their comments it should be good for 40hp so maybe I can get 60hp having headers? I will ask them more questions if I end up leaning that direction more.

My main concern with the supercharger is should I do that to a 150k mile engine I don't want to worry about taking on a trip. I would not be planning on pulley swaps or anything like that. Are the stock valve springs good enough? Are the original head bolts good enough? Is my stock non-flex fuel fuel pump good enough (I, obviously, know I'll need LSA injectors)? Should I still do a trunnion upgrade? I have no idea how much power a stock LSA blower on a stock L92 would make.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I would think a supercharger to be more roadworthy than a cam. You can go with a small cam thats easy on the valvetrain but not a big gain. Bigger cam is more gain but you lose road manners and could have a spring eventually fail. Change your pulley to reduce the boost if you want. Stay conservative and you will still get a huge boost of torque down low and not frag a piston or rod. Hey if you decide to go with a cam please sell me your LSA Also anytime you change the cam you could lose a lifter down in the pan. Changing a cam you can also have that fail. Sometimes cams are bad and get wiped. Much more work than pulling a S/C if the unit is faulty.

IMO 150K isn't really that high of mileage. If you fail an engine it will be from fatigue after 40K of abuse. It doesn't sound like you are the type to turn the screws hard enough to bear witness to a catastrophic failure.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:14 PM
Launching!

You are right since it would basically drive like it does now until getting into boost. Another thing to consider is the cost difference once the supercharger would likely cost 2x-3x more than just the cam.

I am generally easy on my cars and take really good care of them because I want them to last. I WOT occasionally and have my fun but I don’t beat on them.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

A cam vs an LSA are way completely different options.
The LSA is going to require 2 times if not 3 times the budget than a simple cam swap, not sure if that matters to you.
I could get into the details of it, but not sure if you've done the research already. Custom front accesory bracket, all the wiring and splicing of the harness for the sensors, all the supporting mods needed for the supercharger, i.e. heat exchanger, pumps, plumbing, and tune.

Also i wouldnt worry to much about mileage, i went all out on stock components on mine right around 140k miles, I dont beat her per say, but I do have lots of fun in mine.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:50 PM
Launching!

I’ve done a little research and knew about the accessory brackets, heat exchanger, pump, etc. but I did not know about any wiring harness modifications. Obviously, it makes sense but I guess I didn’t think that would be a big deal. I would love for you to elaborate on that if you can? That does push me towards the cam because although wiring doesn’t scare me in the least and I’m very good at it, I’m not sure I want to do that. I did always say if I did boost it would need to be a Magnuson kit that would just go right on but boy is that pleasure expensive.

Last edited by 91RS; 02-17-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Maggie is going to be a bit more expensive than the LSA route. It is a more comprehensive kit. Boost District has truck kits for in the 4K range for the reman LSA. They could be missing a piece or two. I wouldn't think you would need to do much wiring. Maybe an extension harness that is plug in play for the TB. If you have to change to a different style MAP you might have to change pigtails. Injectors might be a pigtail change or adapters. Probably need to do a fuel pump that would be easier in a truck than a SUV. One good thing about the S/C route is that if you decide to pull up stakes and change vehicles you can take the S/C with you very easy. Cam you leave it in there.

I also have a SS Sedan and as much as I want to I can't bring myself to mod it. Used to have a M6 G8 GXP. That car had full exhaust and a TVS2300.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 367 Posts

Love my tvs1900 kit, I changed it up a bit but they are pretty decent out of the box, just skip on the tuning unless you need a carb sticker. Lol...
Old 02-17-2020, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 254 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinlmm
Love my tvs1900 kit, I changed it up a bit but they are pretty decent out of the box, just skip on the tuning unless you need a carb sticker. Lol...
Just curious how much $ do you think you have in your fuel system? Weighing many options. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2020, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Cam you leave it in there.

I also have a SS Sedan and as much as I want to I can't bring myself to mod it. Used to have a M6 G8 GXP. That car had full exhaust and a TVS2300.
Not necessarily! I uncammed my TBSS when I sold it. I’m not 100% sure I’d do it again but in that situation I did end up with more money. I also didn’t pull the heads on that one since it was a low mile truck but in this one I certainly would put in new lifters because of the mileage.

I do like superchargers but they definitely make me nervous because of my previous bad experience. When the car worked it was fantastic but there were just so many problems I couldn’t trust it. I know a Maggie kit can do it but I just can’t spend that much any more. At least a cam is “economical” and I feel like staying NA pretty well guarantees reliability.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yup that's what I did with my current truck. Was gonna stick a LSA on there but went cam to save money. Then somehow a LS3 top end magically installed itself. Now my wallet keeps slipping out and there is a LSA in my online shopping cart ready to be checked out. :-S
The following users liked this post:
dantheman1540 (02-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Cam or LSA Supercharger for my 2008 6.2L