Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brandon_6667
Got ya, as I look more and more into this cam im getting closer to choosing it. I read a couple threads on this cam with the 5.3 and the guy ran the dyno before and after and showed pretty much no loss at the lower end, and alot of gain in the upper end. it sounds like it idles a little choppy, but not too much for a daily driver which I like.

comp cams camquest program recommends a 2100-3100 rpm stall for my truck with that cam. is that realistic or should I go for around 3200 or more like recommended earlier on this thread? I dont want too much stall, but at the same time want to take advantage of the added mid-high horsepower from the cam.

also, other that better lifters and pushrods, what else should I do while installing the cam? will my factory valve springs be ok with the cam?
there's no need to get a stall with that cam. It's an off idle power cam. If you really wanted to get a stock like converter, get a TB stall. . . It's the one from the inline 6 Trailblazer. It stalls right at 2600, and it's great for towing/big tires. The converter from the TB SS would be more like what you already have.

Get the LS6 springs, hardened 7.4 push rods, the cam, 2 gal of antifreeze, crank bolt, and that's it. You'll reuse all of the other gaskets.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon_6667
Yeah, I might justwait on a stall converter and just focus on the cam. On the gen III motor do you have to take the oil pan off like on the classic chevy smallblock? also, I will have the heads checked out since I will have them off. Anything you would recommend I do with the heads other than maybe springs?
No need to remove the oil pan, just remove the water pump, pulley, intake tube, drain the rad fluid and you're set. Take the front cover off and and use a sharpie to mark the timing chain position, it will be easier to align later. Get some pen magnets to keep the lifters up or you can do the russian roulette method at your own risk.

A cam swap is super easy to do, just time consuming. The "hardest" part is replacing the springs, stay away from a crowbar style compressor, just get Tim's Tool (try a search on it) or get a Crane Tool if you have enough $$$.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

[QUOTE=brandon_6667;4256254 . . On the gen III motor do you have to take the oil pan off like on the classic chevy smallblock? also, I will have the heads checked out since I will have them off. Anything you would recommend I do with the heads other than maybe springs?[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by jiar577
No need to remove the oil pan, just remove the water pump, pulley, intake tube, drain the rad fluid and you're set. Take the front cover off and and use a sharpie to mark the timing chain position, it will be easier to align later. Get some pen magnets to keep the lifters up or you can do the russian roulette method at your own risk.

A cam swap is super easy to do, just time consuming. The "hardest" part is replacing the springs, stay away from a crowbar style compressor, just get Tim's Tool (try a search on it) or get a Crane Tool if you have enough $$$.
USE THE SEARCH ! . . . search for "cam swap"

Intake and heads stay on for a cam swap.
Don't touch the oil pump unless you want all kinds of issues later on.
Lifters can be held up with wooden dowel rods . . . not magnets
Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Tootall
USE THE SEARCH ! . . . search for "cam swap"

Intake and heads stay on for a cam swap.
Don't touch the oil pump unless you want all kinds of issues later on.
Lifters can be held up with wooden dowel rods . . . not magnets
Magnets work excellent, dowels is just another option.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jiar577
Magnets work excellent, dowels is just another option.
yeah, but that's 16 pin magnets . . . you have to set tention on each one to hold up the lifters. Not to mention . . what if the tip comes out and falls off.

I use the lifter tool that Thunder sells or the wooden rods.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

wooden dowel rods work great, and whats with using a sharpee to mark the timing??

There are timing marks on both of the gears for a reason.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
wooden dowel rods work great, and whats with using a sharpee to mark the timing??

yep . . . stamped tit marks . . . dot to dot !
Old 07-30-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott

Mark the timing chain, sprocket to the chain, is just to ease reassembly. Easier AND faster than trying to align the dots, it's a no brainer IMO.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so, Ive decided on the compcams 212/218 low lift part # XR265HR, yellow z06 springs, now I just need to decide what lifters and pushrods. should I replace the pushrods? and whats a good brand lifter that wont break the bank??
Old 08-05-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Why are you replacing the lifters?

Quick Reply: Cam question