Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jiar577
Why are you replacing the lifters?
because alot of times when its cold out and the truck hasnt been run in a few hours, I will have a real loud lifter tap, I can actually see the oil pressure guage ticking back and forth (around 40psi) as the lifter taps. sometimes it only takes a little rev or a minute of idleing to stop the tap but sometimes it will tap for goddamn 10-15 minutes untill the oil works its way into there. Its fukin embarrassing sitting there tapping away in a parking lot. I've tried different oils, and expensive filters with the backflow prevention valves on them and nothing seems to work. so I decided to just replace the lifters and say fugetaboutit
Old 08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Resident Retard

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the cam in my sig would work great for you... But you need to run better springs with it
Old 08-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a 220/220 would work also pretty good right since he has to move more weight
Old 08-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
I think the cam in my sig would work great for you... But you need to run better springs with it
Originally Posted by garcia
a 220/220 would work also pretty good right since he has to move more weight
Now you guys come in and post your opinions. After he has already settled on the 212/218 Comp cam.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC

Hey, would the cam in your sig be compatible with PAC 1218 beehive springs?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Launching!

As far as the lifters go, whats your opinions on my lifter tap problem? it seems like the older the oil gets, the less it taps. fukin wierd, im already running 10w30, should I go with a lower viscosity, or an additive? are the lifters hard to replace? how much would a good quality replacement set run me?
Old 08-06-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by brandon_6667
As far as the lifters go, whats your opinions on my lifter tap problem? it seems like the older the oil gets, the less it taps. fukin wierd, im already running 10w30, should I go with a lower viscosity, or an additive? are the lifters hard to replace? how much would a good quality replacement set run me?
You should be running 5w-30 oil in that, it will help to increase the efficiency of your engine. At this point you're speculating on it being lifter tap, it might not be. You need to get it torn down and inspect the rocker arms (bearings, pushrod cups, and valvestem pads), valve springs, and the pushrods. In order to get to the lifters you will have to pull the cylinder head of the respective bank of lifters you find to be the offending culprit.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Laid Back

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My brother's 4.8l has a tapping lifter or two. If we run Castrol GTX 5W-30 in it the lifters barely tap at all. Mobil 1 5W-30 is a different story. It makes the tap loud as hell. I've switched back and forth between the two motor oils multiple times and seems like the conventional Castrol is always quieter.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Launching!

Hmm, I think i'll try the 5w30 and see how it works. I loose about a half gallon of coolant about every 1-2 months so I was thinking of doing the head gaskets anyway, so the heads will probably be out either way. I get no oil in my coolant and no coolant in my oil, my heater dosent smell like coolant when its on, and the coolant isnt leaking outside of the motor anywhere.

so does this sound like a head gasket issue? is it common? its done this for a few years now but every time I smog it it passes with no problem/issues whatsoever (although I dont know if burning coolant out the exhaust would make you fail anyway)
Old 08-07-2009, 03:40 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by brandon_6667
Hmm, I think i'll try the 5w30 and see how it works. I loose about a half gallon of coolant about every 1-2 months so I was thinking of doing the head gaskets anyway, so the heads will probably be out either way. I get no oil in my coolant and no coolant in my oil, my heater dosent smell like coolant when its on, and the coolant isnt leaking outside of the motor anywhere.

so does this sound like a head gasket issue? is it common? its done this for a few years now but every time I smog it it passes with no problem/issues whatsoever (although I dont know if burning coolant out the exhaust would make you fail anyway)
Water pump gaskets are somewhat common, I've seen it a few times on here, and also on my buddy's 01 5.3. They will deform and squish inwards and often not leave a trail or puddle. On my friends truck, there were no signs of leakage, but I told him to check the wp gaskets as I've seen both here and at GMTrucks.com. He has an extended warranty and brought the truck in, and sure enough they found one of the wp gaskets deformed.

Quick Reply: Cam question