Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

Cam sensor questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam sensor questions

Occasionaly our 2000 tahoe will crank and crank for 5 or 6 seconds before spuddering to life, while other times it'll fire like it just rolled off the assembly line.

After talking to serveral people about it, I was told to try a new cam sensor. But I've never changed one before so...

Is there a write up or how-to for this procedure?

Is there anything else, besides swapping out the sensor that needs to be done?

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rede
Occasionaly our 2000 tahoe will crank and crank for 5 or 6 seconds before spuddering to life, while other times it'll fire like it just rolled off the assembly line.

After talking to serveral people about it, I was told to try a new cam sensor. But I've never changed one before so...

Is there a write up or how-to for this procedure?

Is there anything else, besides swapping out the sensor that needs to be done?

Thanks for the help.
Sounds like your Fuel Pressure is bleeding back to me. The cam sensor is in the hole were the distrubutor would go if it had one. If it were bad though, it would throw a correlation code, the obd 2 throws a code if the cam and crank sensors don't agree with each other.

Check your fuel pressure, then shut off the key and make sure it is holding fuel pressure when off.

ON EDIT: You do have a ls engine in that thing don't you?
I think 2000 could have had a 350 vortec. In that case the cmp sensor is actually in the distributor, but the correlation stuff still applies either way.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:42 PM
12 Second Club

It's a 5.3L. The cover on the engine says Vortec, but I don't know if that's the original one or not.
In early december we had the fuel pump die completely, so he had the pump/soleniod replaced (they also replaced some carbon canister, don't know the proper name or its function, but they said it should be replaced so we did it all at once) and before that, the evap soleniod to correct a DTC that was coming up related to the evap.

We used to have the security light coming on and off while driving which I read in several forums could have been related to the passlock system, so that was disabled as well.

We like the truck, but just seem to be having issues with it the last few months.
Anyone wanna trade straight across for their AWD TBSS?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"In early december we had the fuel pump die completely, so he had the pump/soleniod replaced"
In the "FWIW" dept:
Gennie GM parts??

If not, the local ap folks @ NAPA refused to sell me an aftermkt pump assy for a 2001 Tahoe.. Said they had so many early failures, they quit selling them. Sent me to the dlr.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Its a gm/delco pump as they told me that the jobber replacements are hit or miss. Some have no troubles for as long as they have the vehicel... while others are back a year or two later.

Pump set me back 650 + 200 for the carbon canister and the rest was labour for a total of 1500 canadian